Kap's Corner

It's Official....Harden and Heilman Stay With the Cubs

The deadline is about to expire and I have confirmed from sources close to both sides that the Cubs and Twins could not agree on the players that the Cubs would receive in a Rich Harden deal. He is scheduled to make his start tonight at Wrigley Field against the Houston Astros.

Aaron Heilman will also be staying with the Cubs because they own his rights as he is short of service time for free agency.  So having him under their control makes more sense than just giving him away now.

waxpaperbeercup said:

i would have been happy to drive heilman to ord.

Matt Lo Cascio said:

I would have paid for your gas

Madlarkin said:

I'll bring the coleslaw!!

Paul said:

I'm disappointed that nothing was able to be done about moving Harden; it would've been nice to get something for him, as you, Kap, mentioned in a previous post. From one angle, it would only make sense that the Cubs offer him a multi-year contract, so as to avoid losing him to free agency for nothing; it would seem that the Cubs cannot afford to take on any more multi-year deals. From another angle, though, the Cubs are stuck with Zambrano, Dempster, Soriano, Fukudome, Bradley, Lee, Ramirez, and Lilly for at least another year or so. Thus, without many pieces moving anyway, we can keep the team together and hope they can all return to competitive form.

Madlarkin said:

They get 2 picks for Harden if he leaves as a free agent. That's better than the twins were ever going to offer for 1 month of Harden.

Madlarkin said:

My point is the Cubs don't get "nothing" They get 2 extra picks from the team that signs him.

Illini said:

IF they offer arbitration, which isn't a done-deal.

Paul said:

Yes, my oversight on the arbitration to draft picks. However, if we do offer arbitration, my guess is that he would accept it, resulting in another long term deal for the Cubs.

IvyChatChuck said:

Arbitration does not result in a long term deal. It results in a one year deal.

Paul said:

Okay; yes again my mistake. And in my haste, I mis-posted some other things.

I don't think he would accept arbitration; I expect a team out there, possibly us, to offer him a multi-year deal which he would undoubtedly accept. Obviously offering him arbitration is the right thing to do, at some point to ensure we get something. Back to my original point though, since we are strapped with so many big contracts, maybe we might as well try to keep Harden with the team for another 2-3 years.

jack74 said:

Heilman threw the ball well in tonight's game, but unfortunately, it's not really a reflection of his season. He's far too inconsistent and a real liability. The Cubs will most likely not finish the season above .500, so we might as well keep Heilman until the end of the season, and then let him go. Any trades for him will likely not bring anything of value in return.