Kap's Corner

Finally, The Sale of the Cubs Should Be Signed This Week!

The long awaited sale of the Chicago Cubs should finally be signed this week between the Tribune Company and the Ricketts family. The process has been ongoing since April of 2007 but now it is finally about to be completed.

Excellent sources have assured me that there are no more hurdles to clear and the paperwork will be signed by Friday. It will then move on to an MLB ownership committee then a stop in front of the bankruptcy judge and finally it will need approval of the other owners in Major League Baseball. All of this should be wrapped up by the World Series or shortly thereafter and it should pave the way for Tom Ricketts and his family to finally have the keys to the Cubs kingdom.

This timetable will allow the Cubs to be active in free agency which doesn't begin until November and should allow the Ricketts to implement the beginning stages of their master plan in time for the 2010 season. What that plan will involve remains to be seen but rest assured Cubs fans, Tom Ricketts and Co. want to win and they have very definite ideas on what they want to do to improve the franchise.

Uncle Philly said:

I hope you are right Kap, it has been a long time waiting in limbo.

I just want to see them win it all in 2010, 2011, and Beyond!

fire_317 said:

This will be very good news!! I know that Bob Brenley has been batted around as manager, but how about Sandberg as Manager and Brenley as GM, then Greg Maddux of Rick Sutcliff as Pitching coach and let Sandberg and Brenley fill in the rest of the coaching core.

Max Power said:

Tell us this isn't the same source who said a Roberts to the Cubs was done deal. Or the Peavey to the Cubs was close.

And PLEASE tell us it isn't the "reliable source" who made up the Bradley to Detriot rumors because he needed attention.

JobbaJibba said:

@Max Power- You wouldn't be referring to Kaps old buddy, old pal...Steve "I comment on the Cubs more than anything else, but I am a Sox analyst" Stone? Wouldya?

Max Power said:

Yep. Good old Steve "I play the bitter, jilted ex even though I quit on them. Twice" Stone

How'd you guess?

melissa said:

Is that the same Former Playgirl Model, Steve Stone? That Steve Stone?

skiwoods said:

Here's what I'd like to see happen with the Cubs after this season regardless of what happens. I like Lou, but my hunch is if they win it all this year (not my prediction) he will leave the Cubs. If they don't make the playoffs or win in the playoffs, again he would prefer to move on. Enter the Ryne Sandberg era. Step 1: Clean house at the major league level. Trade key players Ramirez, Lee, Soriano, Bradley, and my favorite Cub, Zambrano. I know we won't get much at all for Bradley or Soriano, but the point of trading them is not to get anything good back, it's to get them off the Cubs. I know the Cubs will have to eat a portion of their salarys too. All worth it. The other 3 guys should be good trade bait. Who do we go after for these 3 guys? That's step 2. Our new manager, Ryne Sandberg, has been managing in the minors and he has to have a good idea as to who he would like playing in Wrigley Field. Trade Ramirez, Lee, and Zambrano for all the young talent they can get their hands on. Keep Dempster, Lilly, and Wells from the starting staff. None are head cases. Dempster and Lilly will provide leadership and experience for the new team. For position players, keep Theriot and Soto. We all love the play of Fuld, and Johnson, and those guys should stay too. Let Sandberg start as a new manager with a new team for the most part. I only want to see players hustle on every play and their mind is in every play. I am sick of things like Soriano's hop, Bradley's mental errors, standing in the box after hitting a dribbler to third, trotting after hitting what they think is a homer and it actually hits the wall, etc. It is an insult to the true Cubs fans when one of these jokers take this game for granted. Give me Fuld and Johnson over Soriano and Bradley any day of the week. With new young prospects, keep the head cases away. Let's give Ryno and a new team of young untainted, enthusiastic, focused athletes an opportunity.

FiveOutsToGo said:

Congratulations. You just turned a team that will win 80+ games into a team that will win 65 games.

Jerry said:

Skiwoods

I agree with hiring Sandberg as manager and getting rid of Z and Soriano. If you get rid of Ramirez, Lee and the rest for a bunch of young guys, you are setting up Sandberg and the Cubs to fail and that isn't an option. Ramirez is one of the most clutch guys you have and needs to stay.

I believe Ricketts will encourage Hendry to quietly shop Z and Soriano in deals that will get you as much telent as possible and get rid of most of their contracts. I also think Ricketts will make sure that The Cubs be a winner for years to come.

Tanner said:

I live in Omaha, Ne and I hope that Mr. Ricketts will make the AAA Iowa Cubs to Omaha!! That would be amazing! I think it could happen since the Ricketts is from Omaha!

Tanner said:

Hope he moves that Iowa Cubs to Omaha, so its the Omaha Cubs! Sounds Good!!

markx said:

Hope the new ownership has more respect for the fans than the current group. I sat the park watching a tarp and waiting for it to rain for 2 1/2 hours yesterday. When the rain stopped and the skies started to clear the Cubs rewarded fans waited all day buy getting on a plane to San Diego.

Mike_thoms said:

Ski...are you nuts? You sound like Dave Kaplan (who I normally like). Soriano's contract is terrible, let's just all agree on that. I don't think there's anyone who thinks otherwise. But to say that we should trade away everyone else you suggested is insane. If you don't mind the Cubs not winning for the next 10 years, then let's do that. But this is a major market franchise. This is a team that always makes money in ticket sales, merchandising and ad revenue from excellent TV ratings. This is a regional team, and some could argue even a national team.

I'd love the Cubs to be able to dump Soriano, even if we have to pay all but $4-5 mill of his salary every year.

Frank said:

We probably will have to pick up more than $4-5 mil of Sorry's salary every year.

If the sale goes through (I'll believe that when I see it), Ricketts will want to put his people in place. Does that mean that Hendry is gone? Will Lou be gone also? If we do get a new GM, will they unload players or will they want to make a splash in the FA market with a high-profile signing?

Here are 3 things I would like to see happen:

1. Stop this business of saying that a player makes more money so he should start over a younger player (Sorry over Fox) who is obviously better. This is about winning, not making a player feel better about themselves.

2. Eat a bad contract. If the Cubs have a bad contract and the player just hasn't lived up to expectations, get rid of him right away. They've held on to too many bad contacts (Lance Johnson) just because they didn't want to waste the money.

3. Go out and get the top player available. Don't settle on a player who is just as good but cheaper. If they where just as good at the top player they would be making more money.

Mike_thoms said:

No I meant, we'd have to pay all but $4-5 mill of Sori's contract...meaning some team would probably be willing to put up with Streakiano for $4-5 mill...maybe an AL team who needs a DH?

Hardrock said:

My birthday is Nov 2...WoW...what a birthday present!...the Tribune Company gone as the owner of the Chicago Cubs! Thank You God!!!!!!!!

JobbaJibba said:

Here we are...4:45pm on Thursday. Cubs are still owned by Zell.