Coppock on Sports

« Pack Lackluster, but Bears Looked Worse Ricketts Already Running Racket on North »

Best Chicago Sportscasters of the Past 25 Years

Chet Coppock

Legitimate Chicago broadcast legend and the pioneer of sports talk radio. Also teaches courses in humility.

Thumbnail image for cover.jpg

As I wrote in my book, part of me was nuts to make this list, as well as the upcoming "Worst" list. That one should really go over well!

But what the hell? I've been a TV sports anchor in Chicago, and I get a great kick out of people calling me the godfather of sports-talk radio.

So let's go back to 1983. Let's flip the dials, trot out the players, and come up with a list of the 12 best sportscasters over the past 25 years.

"This excerpt from Fat Guys Shouldn't Be Dancin' at Halftime is printed with the permission of Triumph Books / www.triumphbooks.com."

Cheryl said:

Steve Stone does not talk too much. Hawk Harrelson does, and should have retired years ago.

Chet Coppock said:

hawk is a rocker... he's got five good years left.....

alk said:

What about Pat Hughes? His voice is smooth as silk and he helps bail Ron Santo out of plenty of jams. He makes listening to the Cubs on radio worthwhile.

Chet Coppock said:

pat gets very big play in my chapter on ron santo..... i love the guy

RobertMarvinHull said:

Agree with you about Pat Hughes alk. How about another Pat - Pat Foley? He's without equal in hockey broadcasting.

Alex Parker said:

Where's Pat Foley?! Stoney is great, but Hawk is the worst. The. Worst.

fatstripping said:

fully agree. me thinks Hawk is the worst. Wish we still has pat

cubby23(eric) said:

Well, John is doing a bang up job on the radio side, and while the chemistry isn't Foley/Tallon in their heyday, both him and Murray are a solid hockey announcing tandem.

Foley I think is hurt because he's not as good as he once was. There's been some drop off, and perhaps it's because him and Eddie just don't have the same rapport that Foley and Tallon had.

Dmband said:

This list is a joke. It should really read:

"List of Chet's friends"...seriously, are you high? You include Bruce Wolf and not Hughes, or Foley.

Thanks for the list of your friends Chet, that was helpful.

Chet Coppock said:

you know me.....i aim to please

goodoldnumbernine said:

jim rose was considered as a possibility, chet, your credibility is circling the drain, where's dan bernstein??.....who's this RobertMarvinHull, seems somewhat familiar

Chet Coppock said:

dan bernstein is a helpless little girl scout...... however, he did make my worst list.....

Marc said:

how's the third reich doing these days coppock?

IvyChatChuck said:

Bunsey is bad, but the hot dog store owner is good because he can "print money?"

I see you understand Ponzi schemes pretty well.

DonZimmer said:

Hawk Harrelson? You gotta be kidding me. He is just about unlistenable. If I hear him say one more dumb phrase, I'll barf.

"Chopper, two hopper." and "can of corn," get my vote as most annoying.

When it was him and DJ, there was so much dead air in the broadcast I kept checking if I had the mute button on.

awful

Skinny Dipper said:

Agreed on Pat Foley, he's one of the best in the biz.

Can't forget about about Wayne Larivee either. Joniak and Bender don't measure up to the excitement and energy Wayne brought to Bears radio broadcasts.

Oh yeah, "The Professor" Brad Palmer should be on this list instead of Hawk.

Chet Coppock said:

i write in my book that pat foley will eventually wind up in the hall of fame....he gets his props.....

bigmallow said:

When Harrelson speaks I hit the mute and turn on Farmer!!!!!

degeneral1 said:

even if they aren't my favorite, i can see merits for just about all of these guys. but I just don't get Dan McNeil.

Chet Coppock said:

mcneil us edgy and has great funk..... he's earned a top ten spot.....

steven said:

Chet, this list of your friends is toilet paper. it is simply wrong in too many ways, and i'm fairly certain that you know it. i'm guessing Stone isn't actually a friend, as he ends up on the bottom when he should be at the top, along with Pat Hughes, Neil Funk, Ed Farmer, and John Wiedeman. now if you'll excuse me, Chet, i have an actual job to get back to.

Oh, are you kidding, Chet? No Pat Hughes? He's the one of the best in the business and has been for more than a decade.

The Hawk is the WORST broadcaster I've ever heard. And I've heard Chip Caray and Jo Morgan.

IrishYeti said:

Well, he does have one half of that broadcast. Too bad he selected the guy that should be in the worst category. Also, Harrelson is terrible, North is terrible.

As far as the fans "can't get enough" of Santo. That seems to be wearing out. I, along with about 90% of my Cub fan friends, loathe Santo in the booth. He doesn't even know who's in LF half the time.

Also, in response to your Worst List that you deleted off of here (it's still cached in Google), Bernstein in the worst? Personal feelings getting in the way, Chet?

MikeF said:

Gangrieco, McPherrin and Lame Kasper in the top 5? Huh? And no Pat Foley? Thanks, 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back....

Mike d said:

Little sad that Pat Foley didnt make the list. We've been pretty lucky in this city with some great announcers though. Chet get Pat Foley up there.

Dmband said:

"write in my book that pat foley will eventually wind up in the hall of fame....he gets his props....."

So, what you're saying is that it should be called, "Best Chicago Sportscasters I haven't already talked favorably about in previous publications".

Glad we cleared up the fact that this list is NOT in fact the "Best Chicago Broadcasters"...thanks.

Hans1958 said:

I'm really suprised you have the time to write a book Chet. With your head buried so far up the high and all mighty Notre Dames ass. No wonder you aren't on TV anymore (Thank God) because you truly suck as at broadcasting!

dayplek said:

mike north? are you serious? mike north is the worst, most obnoxious and unfunny sports guy i've heard in quite some time. that addition alone completely voids your "list"

jack said:

North might know the business in the sense of finding his own sponsors, but he sure didn't look too good with the webio mess. I wondered at the time how a web site could pay for itself, the talent, and advertising himself, until it turned out that a Ponzi schemer was financing it. Too bad North suckered his friends into quitting their jobs for that. IIRC, that includes you too, Chet.

dayplek said:

and how do you leave off pat foley? LIST FAIL

David Wallach said:

Bruce Wolf! He is the Dr. Seuss of Sports. I would put him second to John Kelley.

ccav23 said:

What happened to the worst 25 Sportscasters in Chicago? Apparently I wasn't the only one that thought it was garbage.