Blackhawks Confidential

Blackhawks have a rotten core...

toews-kane.jpg

Well, we're three games into what I had hoped would be an enlightening circus trip for the Blackhawks. Unfortunately for me the room is still pretty dark.  There are so many questions being thrown around concerning the Blackhawks.  For me there's only one, who the hell are these guys? Blowout Edmonton, get blown out by Calgary, stomp on Vancouver...  It's been 23 games and the only thing the Hawks have shown me is that they are consistently inconsistent.  Yea it's a new team, and yea they lost a lot this off season.  But with it's core still intact how can a team go from a puck possession machine to a Jekyll and Hyde win by 5 or lose by 5 skating circus.

Looking back now I bet Mr. Bowman is kicking himself for not pennying up another 600k to keep Andrew Ladd.  I'm also standing by my summertime statement that the best thing to do with Buff was to keep him for another Cup run and let him walk next season.  Those guys are definitely missed.  Now wearing the C and A respectively, Ladd and Buff are showing us that we lost a lot more than just a couple 3rd liners.  Maybe their leadership abilities played a much larger role than anyone really imagined last season.

I remember last season's Black Wednesday showdown in San Jose being the game that truly put the Blackhawks on the radar.  Maybe this years meeting will do someting similar.  Readers have pointed out that Hawks bloggers have already made a big deal out of 3 to 4 "corner turning" games this year and they're right.  Hawks fans are dying for a championship caliber performance followed up by consistent winning.  Unfortunately we have seen nothing close to that thus far.  A lot has been made of the new faces needing to learn their roles on this team.  I think the exact opposite is true.  It's time for the core of this team to man up and right the ship.

Who is Patrick Kane? A three point a game playmaker or an undersized winger with a propensity to stand and watch in the defensive zone?

Who is Jonathon Toews?  A complete player with the ability to get to the dirty areas and produce or simply a Jack Skille, giving 110% all the time but not able to make his presence felt on the scoresheet?

Who is Duncan Keith?  A Norris Trophy winner who puts up 12 points in 7 games or a turnover machine who goes -7 with 0 points the next 7 games?

Who is Brent Seabrook?  A sidekick to Duncan Keith or an Gold Medalist regardless of his partner on D?

Who is Dave Bolland?  A menacing shut down center with the ability to score or simply another guy skating around on the ice?

Who is Patrick Sharp?  A consistent 50 goal threat or a streaky 10 goals in 8 games, 0 the next 8 games kind of guy?

Who is Troy Brouwer?  A hit machine with 30 goal potential or a soft, scared to be great nobody?

People are making a big deal about the rest of the roster but c'mon.  Who the hell knows who the Hawks are if they don't know themselves?  Last year's depth with Buff, Ladd, Versteeg, Sopel, and Eager spoiled the core of this team rotten.  Inconsistency wasn't as big of an issue because other guy's capable of leading the way were there night in and night out.  That's not the case anymore.

I always wondered why Kane and Toews never got the glory that Crosby or Ovechkin or Stamkos received but now it makes perfect sense.  Those are guys who produce and win night in and night out regardless of who's around them.  They don't pick and choose games to show up for, they bring it, every game, 82 times a season.

Last year's team was different than the rest of the NHL in terms of depth and talent.  That's why they won the Cup.  But now the Hawks are no different than a Penguins or Capitals team.  They have a few stars they have chosen to lead the way and the team will live or die by their play.  If the Hawks want to even make the playoffs this year it's time for Kane and Toews to perform like the other superstars around the league.

I once again go back to what I said this summer, if Kane and Toews can produce 180-190 points together there is no way they don't compete for another Stanley Cup this spring.  I'm done focusing on Fernando Pisani and Jack Skille and John Scott, and the support guys brought in to round out the roster.  They don't matter!  Crosby doesn't need help, Ovi doesn't need help, why should Kane and Toews?

Ultimately it's time for Kane and Toews to truly earn their superstar status.  This team is built on having consistent performance from it's superstar core.  Until the wonder twins can love up to those expectations I don't see this roller coaster ride getting any smoother...

Tab said:

Honestly... I'm embarassed for you. Not only did you spell Toews' name wrong, but you fail to grasp the reality that is the NHL's salary cap when you, like many other bandwagon fans, cries into his beer that Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd aren't here any more.

Would you rather have Dustin Byfuglien than Patrick Sharp? And what kind of production do you think the Blackhawks would get from Byfuglien where they had him playing, as a 3rd line forward at 13 minutes per night? He's playing very well right now... as the leading ice time player in Atlanta. To think for one second he would get the same opportunity in Chicago is naive, and to say you would rather have him than Sharp is awfully short-sighted.

And the $600k that Bowman didn't "pony up" for Andrew Ladd is an entire player on the 3rd or 4th line. Would I rather that he spent John Scott's salary on Ladd? Sure. But Bowman had no guarantee that Ladd's award in arbitration would come back where it did, so he was proactive and made a move to bolster the organizational depth.

Am I sipping the Kool-Aid? Perhaps. But I'm not living a pipe dream where last year's team should still be on the United Center ice.

Sorry... while the Hawks have certainly been inconsistent this year, I disagree with a lot of your article.

Paul said:

My apologies for the typo, sometimes the tears that flow from my eyes when I think of Big Buff impair my vision. But anyway, I didn't write this to be nostalgic of last year's team. My point was that I'm not sure any fan, bandwagon or not, truly realized how much guys like Buff and Ladd meant to this team. And with that being said, it's up to the core to pick up that slack, which they haven't. That's all I was getting at. And Ladd didn't even make it to arbitration with Atlanta so I don't see how he would have been unwilling to do the same with the Hawks.

OneTeam said:

And the in-fighting begins!! Mwhahaha!! Lovin it! Quarter way through the season and everyone is crying for last years players and so confused about why this team isnt hacking it. Let me tell you...last years team wasnt that good and this years team is only that just minus a few guys.

Everyone knew/knows outside of Chicago that last year was going to be their very best chance to win a cup. With one bad play by the Preds and the Wings side tracked...the doors were opened FOR them...not BY them. Not to mention that one of the worst teams in the East made it to the final as the Hawks "final challenge". What a joke!

Be happy you got a Cup for nothin and stop pretending this Hawks team is a contender now, next year or for that matter.. a very long time. There never was going to be a dynasty and there never will be. The Hawks defense of "their Cup" ended at the banner raising ceremony. After which, the Wings beat the living ba-jesus out of them.

borg said:

You came out of your hole to claim last year's Cup champs weren't that good?

Just a reminder, incidentally. The Wings won two of their Cups by defeating powerhouses like the mediocre Washington Capitals and Carolina Hurricanes, the latter being one of the weakest Cup finalists ever.

I think it's safe to say we should all take your criticism with the same lack of interest and respect we normally do.

OneTeam said:

This coming from one of those "die hard" fans that have been chanting "Detroit Sucks" for the last 10 years? You're gonna have to learn to have thicker skin! All I said was that they werent that good...I guess according to the Hawk fan base standards, they will have to win about two more Cups before I can say that they suck! Haha!

So Im sorry to burst your bubble but they were not that good. Fortunate for sure...but not that good. Im not surprised that you can’t admit that, you are a homer afterall. As a fan of the Red Wings and observing their last six Cup runs, I know for a fact that luck has A LOT to do with it and I have no problem saying so. Of course I’m talking about bounces and good health...not pulling the”backup rookie goalie rabbit” out of the ass and pretend it wasn’t a total crap shoot. Reality...heard of it?

Where do you rank the 09-10 Hawks among the last 20 Cup winners?? Just curious to gauge your objective analysis. Top 5? Top 10?

BTW- You left out Philly on your list..We smoked them too in 1997. The difference is that those three Cups mentioned required us to go through a Colorado team that certainly would have gone on to win the Cup themselves. We beat the best of the best every season REGARDLESS if that meant it was in the Cup final or WCF. Unless of course you think that team of Roy, Sakic, Forsberg (to name a few) were easy teams to beat. They had a hall of fame line up that only the star studded cast in Detroit could beat. Serious competition and a rivalry for the ages. You guys rivaled...Vancouver?? Yeah...epic.

Fact is, the Wings in their usual season of good health (last year being an anomaly...back to back Cup appearances caught up to them. Don’t worry, you'll never have to find that out) would have knocked the Hawks out as easily as they did the year before. Search your conscience Luke..you know it to be true!

Oh yeah...speaking of holes, the Hawks sure are finding their way into one! I’m sure you’re not worried. That "core" you guys achieve erections too will certainly come alive and dominate again. Right?

How's your team doing so far? (enter excuses below)

One Team said:

I forgot to add that I'm an epic failure in life and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

borg said:

"So Im sorry to burst your bubble but they were not that good."

Not even you're dumb enough to actually believe that.

".not pulling the”backup rookie goalie rabbit” out of the ass and pretend it wasn’t a total crap shoot."

Dude, dudette, whatever you are, you nearly won a Cup with the decrepit, lousy Osgood two years ago. Who are you kidding?

The fact that the Blackhawks won the Cup with a rookie doesn't help your claim that the team wasn't very good. In fact, it's rather counterintuitive.

I am glad the Wings were able to beat a good team to win one of their titles though. Must've been an exhausting task after buying all the Hall-of-Famers pre-cap era.

OneTeam said:

If the Wings had won the Stanley Cup two years ago..that "decrepit" Osgood would have won the Conn Smythe!! He was outstanding! Not to mention he won the Cup a year before....so....not sure you know what your talking about on the matter.

Most everyone that follows hockey knew that.

Perhaps you werent watching hockey yet.

Counterintuitive? Why? Because I believe the Hawks didnt have to play anyone and had an easy joke ride of a playoffs?? I dont think that requires a good goalie.

The Hawks were merely the skinniest kid at fat camp. Bravo!

borg said:

"so....not sure you know what your talking about on the matter."

I'm talking about the rather obvious fact that Osgood has stunk for years.

"Counterintuitive? Why?"

Maybe because the Blackhawks overcame their goaltending deficiencies with superior talent, again kind of negating your claim.

Incidentally, the Blackhawks beat three hundred point teams on their way to the Cup. The Wings never did that. They did beat Joe Juneau though, so, props for that feat.

OneTeam said:

You just keep forgetting Colorado. Is that on purpose? Do you think they were a push over in 97,98 and 02?? Roy, Sakic, Forsberg, Lemieux, Foote, Ozolinsh, Kruppe, Deadmarsh and Jari Kurri. I have no doubt in my mind that they would have DESTROYED the 09-10 Hawks and any hockey fan (outside of this blog of course) would tell you to your face. Last years Hawks team could not have beaten ANY of those Avs teams!

You are in FANTASYLAND if you think so!

BTW- You guys are so defensive! I say Philly was an easy team to beat and you come back with...so were yours? Soooo it is still true though...Philly was a terrible team that took you to 6. Yes, it took 6 games to beat a piece of shit from the East. That says a lot about how GREAT they were.

"Counterintuitive.."

Are you saying Neimi sucked and therefore needed superior talent to overcome?

Ok- Well on this page alone you have copped to the fact that you had to "overcome" your goaltending and that it required your players to rise to "superior" efforts even against a shit team like Philly.

And they were a great team because why again? I think these were all the reasons I say they werent that good.

OneTeam said:

Ps- Osgood stunk for years??? HAHA!

He won the Cup in 2008 and would have won the Conn Smythe in 2009 had it gone the other way. A goalie that "stunk for years" doesnt win the Cup, get the MVP consideration or even be put in that conversation when they "stink". You dont know what you are talking about. Almost every hockey circle put Ozzy in the MVP talks in 2009. "decrepit and lousy" goalie??? Yup- and Gretzky had a poor scoring touch.

This was all before you probably started watching hockey so I took the liberty of providing several links for support. (apparently that has to go to Paul first so Ill just say "Google it beeeeeotch!"

Haha! Thanks for another literary shell game borg- You impress me with how well you purposely miss the point and never say anything that can come back on you like a prediction or ranking your team- In other words....anything interesting!! Its impressive and weak at the same time.

borg said:

"A goalie that "stunk for years" doesnt win the Cup, get the MVP consideration or even be put in that conversation when they "stink"."

Put your Ozzy blow-up doll away. Your endless fellating of him is nauseating. It would be like if Hawks fans proclaimed love for Cristobal Huet if Huet happened to be in goal for the Cup run.

The great and all powerful Oz is the backup with a .887 save percentage the last 2+ years for a reason. Putting him in the same sentence with Gretzky is an insult to anyone with a modicum of hockey acumen.

I can see why you post here so often. Knowledgeable Wings fans must've thrown you overboard. Good grief.

borg said:

"You just keep forgetting Colorado."

Detroit beat one good team twice in their 4 title years. Wow. You want a cookie for that?

"At the end of the day, its not the Western Conference fault that the East is so shitty."

Have they awarded you a Rhodes Scholarship for this brand of sophisticated logic?

"Yes, it took 6 games to beat a piece of shit from the East."

The Flyers were a talented team that underachieved until the playoffs. Their start this year proves that even more. They're certainly more talented than those juggernaut Caps and Canes teams the Wings beat.

"Are you saying Neimi sucked and therefore needed superior talent to overcome?"

I'm saying he was decent which is far more than you thought of him when you swore Chicago would never sniff the Cup due to their goaltending. But they're talent overcame that, but you don't get that. Which is really hard to believe considering Detroit did it with the Wizard of Bad for years.

OneTeam said:

Hey borg-- Im not the only one that put Osgood in MVP talks. Look it up if you want. Sid, Malkin, Hank and Ozzy were the four front runners. I think if the Wings were winning despite Oz, those hockey circles probably wouldnt have made mention of him. He was really good in the 2009 playoffs. His regular seasons have been aweful the last two years for sure. But his playoff production in the 2008 and 2009 Cup runs (which is what I thought we were talking about in the first place) was above par and certainly not of the stinky caliber. Stats are also available for you.

BigMeat said:

This is the stupidest argument I've read. The NHL was a completely different game back in 97-98, of course the Hawks wouldn't have been as good because they were way undersized compared to those Avs teams. At the same time there was no way the talent level of those Avs teams would be anywhere intact if the salary cap was in place. For every Sakic, Roy, and Forsberg they had they would have to let go a Foote, Lemiux, and Deadmarsh, much like the Hawks had to do with Buff and Ladd.

The Hawks were the Stanley Cup Champions and I think you're having a tough time accepting that. They were the best team last year regardless of their make up. I believe Philly was picked by many last year to make a cup run and if they didn't run into so many damn injuries in the beginning of the year they would have been one of the top seeds.

One Team said:

borg said:

"I'm also standing by my summertime statement that the best thing to do with Buff was to keep him for another Cup run and let him walk next season."

I'll take Jeremy Morin over that proposal 7 days and week and twice on Sunday.

icehogst said:

Aw eat me One Team. The Hawks were good enough to sweep the team that de-pantsed yours so we only have to consider the source on your opinion.

Nice to see some analysis Paul. Was thinking you were going to shake pom-poms for upcoming games all season. I agree the core must be consistently excellent for the Hawks to contend for a Cup and so far they been dragged down to the level of the new guys who cannot hold a candle to the guys from last year. I like Stahlberg though.

We wait and we see. No one in Rockford is standing out so if it's going to happen someone on our NHL'ers has to take charge and LEAD.

All grins!

Yup- you were GOOD ENOUGH to beat a team we played virtually 4 on 5 hockey against for an entire series! Congrats! A gift from us to you!

The Wings got called for 40 penalties in 5 games. That averages: 8 pens per game, at 2 min per pen= 16 mins per game short handed. A game is 30 minutes long right? That means we were literally down a man for half of every game played. Thats just the facts.

And even with all of that...every game was a ONE goal game (of course with the exception of our 7 goal blow out of them) Hardly "beat the pants" off of us...EVEN SHORT HANDED! Lol!

So how does one of the LEAST penalized teams in the NHL all of a sudden commit 40 penalties in a series? Seems a little strange, no? I guess it was what it was. A tired team does get a lot of hooking and slashing calls I suppose....but 40? Hmmmmm. Well Im sure you guys never questioned the NHL ref's last year either so I wont do so now.

In the meantime I will continue to watch the Hawks spiral downwards and the Wings to the top of the league. Its nice to see things finally get back to normal.

HawksRule said:

You gotta love those regulation length 30-minute NHL games.

OneTeam said:

Hahaha! I guess my edumacation didnt make me a mathematician! Haha!

HawksRule said:

It's apparent you missed all the classes about manners, sportsmanship, and acting like an civil adult as well.

HawksRule said:

And the sad part is, one of the things that's most appealing about the Wings fine organization is the high level of respect and good sportsmanship their players exhibit at almost all times. They always have something good to say about an opponent, and rarely (if ever) get into trash-talking. And here you are consistently acting in a way that would be a total disgrace in their eyes. If you're a true fan, maybe you should watch how your heroes conduct themselves and take a few lessons.

OneTeam said:

Thank you HawksRule. I agree and I will. I was just ruffling some feathers and perhaps got carried away. I do think you guys are being a little thin skinned though. I mean afterall, the going chant for the last ten years at the UC has been "Detroit Sucks! Detroit Sucks!" Even when not playing the Wings! (speaking of class)

I said that the Hawks werent that good which is what started this whole thing and to be honest, Id say thats pretty watered down considering.

However, I reread my last post below to borg and I will say I regret using a name at the end of that post. I can do without the name calling and borg has my appologies. I respect a lot of borgs opinions but disagree often. I think I may have went a little too far to provoke a response and Ill be more mindful of that in the future.

Fair enough?

Have a Happy and safe holiday Hawk bloggers. Peace.

borg said:

"Yup- you were GOOD ENOUGH to beat a team we played virtually 4 on 5 hockey against for an entire series!"

So, considering the Red Wings are always near the top of the league in powerplay differential, we can dismiss most of their accomplishments. Good to know.

"so I wont do so now."

"Now" meaning after the first four paragraphs of doing so.

Missed it borg--

How many teams can survive 40 penalties in 5 games in a playoff series?

Also, you never answered my question: 1 being the best, where would you rank last years Hawks team among the last 20 Stanley Cup winning teams? 1st?2nd? 3rd? ...7th? 8th? 9th?

Just wanna see how objective you are when it comes to your team.

Psst - They werent that good.

borg said:

Why would I waste my time breaking down every Cup winner over the last 20 years and ranking them?

Back to the point at hand that you conveniently ignored. Why are penalties a valid excuse for the Wings in one series when they have benefited from them for years?

OneTeam said:

Im just asking where you think your Hawks rank up. You cant do it because you know its low and your too much of a puss to actually put it out there even on a Hawks blog. Lame.

To your question: The Wings have never (to my knowledge) benefited from 40 penalties by one opponent in a single series ever. It is A LOT for any team. 40 IN FIVE GAMES. Get it...its the number of penalties Im pointing out....40. Any team can benefit from penalties and I dont have a problem with that. The Wings have been among the most disiplined teams in the NHL when it comes to this and then all of a sudden... 40 penalties. Close your eyes all you want about it but thats what happened. AND Im not even complaining about any (I dont even know the number) PP goals scored on the Wings. It is more so the lack of not being able to be on the offensive being down a man. As it was, every game was decided by only a one goal. If the refs are blowing 8 pens per game (which is A LOT for a playoff game and especially odd for a team noted for its disipline in this area) I think it makes anyone with half a brain wonder...was that series called evenly?

I guess if you dont get it...you dont get it. I dont really care either way. Last year was not our year. Done, done and done. THIS year we are rested and getting back to form. The Hawks at BEST are only half the team the Wings are this year.

Our best hockey is yet to come! Pretty excited about winning another Cup this year. Never gets old! (Sorry, I guess you wouldnt know...)

Now stop being such a pussy and tell me where would you rank your Hawks? You dont need to write about every team and you dont have to list them on here. Just a number. I have them at #14.

borg said:

"your too much of a puss to actually put it out there even on a Hawks blog."

Hold on there John Wayne. In reality, I have no interest in doing so. It's much more fun watching you twist yourself into logic hell trying to backup your inanity.

"Pretty excited about winning another Cup this year."

Are you using the same magic 8-ball that you used to claim the Hawks had no chance to win the Cup with a rookie goaltender? Because you probably should take that one back and get a refund.

OneTeam said:

Oh brother- I give! You have officially out bickered me! Like I said "its a literary shell game". Haha!

Have a nice Thanksgiving- Catch you next time borg..

ytfytfchgcg said:

20USD Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $20

WE ACCEPT PAYMENT--b2cshop.us --

DELIVERY TO YOU DOOR TO DOOR

========b2cshop.us ==Please copy stick this website

borg said:

The odd thing?

This is still more coherent than most of OneTeam's posts.

Stylin19 said:

ugh one team....
Why were those red wings in the penalty box? Probably cause they committed PENALTIES!!! weird, you do something wrong in a sport you have a smaller chance of winning... Also if you are ranked 2nd in the western conference for the playoffs because of a stellar 82-game regular season why should you be considered a legitimate contender, and why would they have so many players represent their national teams at the olympics? Obviously cause they aren't that good right one game?

You come on a chicago blog and blast off about the red wings and how bad the hawks are and call us homers.

Also most real hockey fans like the ones I have met on this site and secondcityhockey.com aren't the type to yell "Detroit Sucks" when we aren't playing Detroit. That's a lame generalization, where was the "Chicago fans are all bandwagon fans" post?

And finally to answer your question, I think any team with a Norris Trophy and olympic gold medal winner, a Conne Smyth and olympic gold medal winner, along with another gold medal winner, silver medal winner and two or three other guys who played in the olympics is a pretty solid team. I would say they could hang with the top 15-20 Stanley Cup Champion teams in history. Included your beloved Red Wings.

BigMeat said:

I think Kane and Toews have done plenty in their careers so far to show that they are amongst the elite players in the game. They do need to step it up and show consistency on a nightly basis. I have no doubt though that come crunch time, these players will come to play. Given their accomplishments in the past it's difficult to believe that they aren't clutch players and will sit back and watch the Hawks deteriorate. It's still early in the season, if they don't bring their a-game come closer to playoff time, then it's reason for concern, until then I still rank Kane and Toews as among the games best.

hgfchgcy said:

20USD Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $20

WE ACCEPT PAYMENT--b2cshop.us --

DELIVERY TO YOU DOOR TO DOOR

========b2cshop.us ==Please copy stick this website

cfgcgfcfg said:

Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, ( b2cshop.us ) Here are the most

popular, most stylish and avant-garde

shoes,handbags,Tshirts, jacket,Tracksuit w