Blackhawks Confidential

Huet should survive Turco trade rumors to Blackhawks and stay in goal

turco.jpgThe rumors, true or not, are bound to start circulating now about the possibility of the Blackhawks looking into a trade for Stars goalie Marty Turco, the guy they beat Tuesday night 4-3 in a shootout.

In fact, it was mentioned on ESPN.com in a blog posting Wednesday between reporters Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside. Turco surely looks expendable in Dallas after GM Joe Nieuwendyk acquired goalie Kari Lehtonen from Atlanta Tuesday in a trade.

But would Turco be an upgrade over Cristobal Huet? I don't see how.

Not to mention nobody's rushing to explain what club would assume Huet's contract to open the way for Turco, who is an unrestricted free agent July 1 and can be moved more easily near the March 3 deadline to teams who only need to pay him a small portion of his $5.4 million.

That didn't stop LeBrun from saying this: "You keeping hearing whispers from people around the league that Chicago wants to upgrade in goal, although the blue line is where I think the Hawks will add one more body."

The last time LeBrun was hearing Blackhawk whispers, it was about signing Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith all to long-term deals at the same time. Those whispers resounded and were right on the money. So you can't discount his sources.

But how general manager Stan Bowman can swap out Huet for a replacement is beyond me. Or are we ready for a three-goalie rotation? Ha!

And even if Bowman can swing a goalie deal, why Turco? His 2.73 goals-against average is a long way from Huet's 2.29 and Niemi's 1.98.

"Marty has played well these past four games and I imagine he will continue to play," Nieuwendyk told the Dallas media. "He's a professional and I know that's how he will respond.

"I wasn't comfortable going onto the summer with no goalie under our control. I felt this was a positive option."

Turco, 34, has playoff experience with the Stars, but it boils down to 21-26 in 47 games. His best was 10-8 for the '07-08 Stars in the playoffs with a 2.09 GAA and 6-6 for the '02-03 Stars with a 1.88 GAA.

Some can argue Turco would be helped by the Hawks defense, as any goalie would be. Others will argue Turco is past his prime.

How say you judges out there? Yea or nay? I say we probably add a defenseman and try to ride Huet and Niemi as far as they take us.

Brian said:

This would be GREAT! I'm sorry but I would take the three goals Turco let in on 41 shots, then get forced to watch Huet and Niemi giving up the same amount of goals on 18 shots. The last thing they need is a defense-man. Unless it's the rumored Barker for Wiz. Dave Tallon getting let go was the best thing to happen to the Hawks since they got rid of Savard for Coach Q. Now Bowman only has to deal with two big mistakes. The contract of Huet and Campbell. I know he'll find a sucker to take Huet. At least I can hope.

madara said:

Agreed.

Dave Morris said:

Professor Kiley, while you continue to present logical trains of thought regarding Chicago's league-leading goaltending, others insist on railroading The Count of Monte Cristo out of town.

So it is, with those of one track minds--as distinguished from those with 'One Goal' marketing slogans.

But the desperation that comes from waiting for a Cup to show up can lead certain folks to become a little loose in the caboose.

Les Hawques are still Vegas favorites to hoist the Mug. In the meantime, I'll be in the bar car, hoisting a brace of dry martinis.

Cheers.

iplagitr said:

Dave, talk about one-track minds... This link may be just what you're seeking: http://www.aacanada.com/

Cheers!

Dean Youngblood said:

"The only requirement for membership is a DESIRE to stop drinking."

icehogst said:

I hear ya' Dean, ol' Dave Morris should get over himself and consider 12-steppin'.

Dave Morris said:

Thanks but no thanks for the guidance counseling, Hog.

Dave Morris said:

GuitarMan, don't forget your sense of humor when you post here.

That goes for all the other wiseguys.

Oh, and do you use a finger or thumb pick?

Na zdaroyve!

iplagitr said:

Dave, just making sure Mike doesn't need to arrange an inner-circle intervention for our good friends here on Blackhakws Confidential!

And if I specialized in finger / thumb pick, I'd surely have a blog photo ID like this (of course with an indian head sticker on it!):

By the way, GO HAWKS!

Mike Kiley said:

Didn't Alexander Graham Bell intervention the telephone and Fulton intervention the steamboat and Jack Paar intervention the talk show and...well, I've never been able to intervention a thing. Just not mechanical, I guess.

SDSTAN said:

I think we should go with the goalies we have, give them each equal playing time down the stretch and then go with the more consistent performer in the playoffs. More importantly, I agree that we should add a defenseman. I question whether Sopel will be able to stay healthy with all the rubber he has been taking lately, but he sure is a warrior. I think Hendry is more than capable of stepping in, but I think they need one more dependable D for insurance and to also cut down on the minutes of Keith/Seabrook down the stretch. Our depth at center also may be an issue with Madden banged up (even with Burish set to come back).

herbie said:

Our smaller defensemen are loosing a lot of pucks behind our net because they are gunshy from getting pounded.I would like to see them pick up a big bodied,stay at home guy would can pound these rushing forwards behind our net.These lost possessions have been leading to those easy goals against us as of late.Hendry does need to play more.The goalies are not at fault for some easy giveaways by Keith,Campbell and Barker.Barker used to hit,haven't seen much out of him lately.Opposing forwards only fear Seabrook when they come into our zone.

icehogst said:

Dallas' situation is interesting and presents the only way I see another team trading for Huet. In their case, Turco is an unrestricted free agent and the Lehtonen trade was insurance in case he left. Even Letonen is a restricted free agent. The trade was made so Dallas had some control over its goaltending situation next year.

In Dallas' case, Huet's firm contract could actually be ATTRACTIVE. If there are other NHL teams in the same situation a trade for Huet makes sense. But short of that, Huet's contract is too big to peddle. Dallas doesn't want Huet or they would have traded for him instead of Lehtonen.

So forget Turco. Don't want a rental goaltender anyway. Kane beat him badly twice last night so he is not the answer to the Hawks' "problem". I back Huet and Niemi or Niemi and Huet, whatever works better.

We are OK defensively too. What we need is a power play.

borg said:

Turco was great when playing in front of a trapping defense back in the grinding 90's. He might be an upgrade over Huet, but then who wouldn't be?

Niemi's been up and down but at least has come up with several huge performances. Unfortunately, there's little chance the Hawks will go with a rookie in the playoffs. Right now, I'd peg the Canucks, Sharks and Wings if they get in as favorites over Chicago. The Hawks won't be able to withstand Huet's couple of bad performances over the course of a long series.

SouthSideHawkMan said:

Here are a few things that I know;

Huet is not good enough to lead the Hawks to a cup
Campbell will never play up to his contract
Byfuglien disappears for games at a time &
Kris Versteeg commits way too many turnovers

Chris said:

Turco? A goaltender in his mid-30s, with a save percentage around 91%, a tendancy to let in soft goals and limited playoff success...Don't we already have one of those? No thanks.

Love it or hate it, the Hawks seem content with the status quo. Would they like to upgrade? Of course. Very few teams wouldn't. But it isn't realistic -- nobody wants Huet's contact. That said, the Hawks still lead the West in GAA, which is really the name of the game, isn't it? Red Wings managed to get it done 2 years ago with a tandem that were "shaky" while maintaining the best GAA in the league.

Hostile Hawk said:

I was actually reading an article from Boston about the Hawks possibly grabbing Thomas from the Bruins because they have no need for him anymore with Raask playing so amazingly.
In the article it was rumored that Bowman said he was not above sending Huet down to the minors if it meant giving the Hawks a better shot at the Cup this year. So that might be your answer to were Huet goes.
As for Turco, I say he is better than Huet. But then I don't think that there are many goalies worse than him in the league. Whether or not it is a large enough upgrade, who knows. Maybe he comes to Chicago and it clicks for him. Turco has strong enough abilities in my book to take the chance.
I would take Thomas over Turco though.

fattybeef said:

We stink and should just trade everybody for draft picks and players to be named. Better luck next year.

blackhawks30 said:

I personally don't believe Turco would be much of an upgrade over Huet with the exception being he has been an established #1 goalie for a while and Huet still has not been able to do that. Carolina won the cup with a rookie named Cam Ward so what's to say the Hawks couldn't do it with Niemi? I would like to see the Hawks go after Scott Niedermayer instead of Wiz if Niedermayer would waive his no trade to come here. Throw them Barker and a low pick and you get instantly better on the blue line and solve some of your cap issues for next season. That would give them the best shot to win it all I believe

RLB Ronnie said:

Hey Southside...... I agree with you. I wanted to see Huet, Campbell,Byfuglien,and Versteeg shipped to Atlanta for Kovulchuk....but I don't think Bowman and company wanted to upset the apple cart that much. Atlanta could have made themselves a playoff team with those 4 guys, and we could have won some Stanley Cups with Kovulchuk on our power play........ and also helped our cap situation.

TOM COTNER said:

1. Forget WIZ.....Too many hurts, too often.....Don't Look Back.
2. Demote HUET to ROCKFORD so we can reduce our CAP #, then look to move him in the off season.
3. If we can acquire MARTY TURCO relatively cheap, DO THE DEAL for his EXPERIENCE and ABILITY, but DO NOT RESIGN him in the off season.
4. The goalie tandem beginning in 10/11 should look like ANTTI NIEMI as #1 and either COREY CRAWFORD or JOE FALLON as #2.
5. MIKE KILEY: WHO IN THE SAM HELL KNOWS WHO JACK PAAR IS EXCEPT FOR YOU AND ME ??? HEH HEH HEH
6. Forget about these TIM THOMAS rumors; he is a ONE SEASON AND DONE GOALIE who only over played to get a big contract renewal !!!
7. As far as the DALLAS STARS acquiring KARI LEHTONEN goes, even though I've been a big fan of the FINN, he's had way too many injuries over way too short a period of time and is a HUGE LIABILITY for any team. ALEX AULD is their new #1 guy, and they will need to shop for a legitimate back up in the off season.

borg said:

Turco with a 40-save shutout Saturday night. His second shutout in 5 games. He's stopped 207 of 215 shots (.967%) the last 6 outings.

Mike Kiley said:

You figure Kane for Turco straight up is enough?

borg said:

I never suggested going after Turco. I don't think he's been all that impressive in recent seasons. It's just interesting that he's suddenly hot now that his name comes up in Hawk discussions.

The Hawks are between a rock and a hard place in goal. Huet isn't capable of fending off great scoring chances via turnovers, and that's been the Blackhawk poison lately.