Blackhawks Confidential

Blackhawks' Kane plays the victim card on New York media tour

kane_ladies.jpgPatrick Kane just made his first preseason slip-up. It's time for the Blackhawks bosses who want him to grow up and take responsibility for his actions to tell him for his own good to shut up and stop playing the victim.
One more attempt by Kane to feel sorry for himself will be one too many.
"Actually, this is probably the hardest summer that I've ever worked out in my life and people are going to say because of one night that I didn't work out this summer," Kane told ESPN.com.
Whaa, whaa, whaa, Charlie Brown. No word yet on whether Kane had opened his ever-useful tear ducts for more sympathy when he said those words.
I have some personal advice to give, even if he surely doesn't want it. His friends should tell him the same. His bosses should tattoo it on his forehead in triplicate.
Quit it. Quit it. Quit it.
Quit it, right now, before we put you in the penalty box for excessive whining. It's not too hard to imagine Kane feels himself the victim of his tumultuous offseason and that will send exactly the wrong signal.
In fact, those few words sent that vibe loud and clear. He wants to cry on our shoulders and anyone willing to let him should be ashamed.
Remember this, he called the cabbie "a scumbag," according to the police report. He probably still does call him that in his private moments when a judge isn't in hearing distance. What are we to believe Kane believes?
I think we just heard what he believes. He's the victim. He got robbed of his rights to have his ass kissed for working hard all summer. Poor Patrick.
The organization better get in front of this trend before Kane continues his woe-is-me talk at Blackhawks training camp next week and makes us all want to send this 20-year-old to his room without his nightly supper of Bud Lite, Miller Lite or whatever he was drinking before hell broke loose.
Kane and Jonathan Toews, the straight man in the act, were part of a NHL media tour this week in New York. In a press release for Street @ Smith's Sports Business Daily, Kane even received top billing with Stanley Cup champ Sidney Crosby.
His profile is going to remain high in hockey circles, which is why Kane will need much better babbling tips from the Blackhawks about what not to say or infer in the immediate aftermath of Kane pleading guilty to disorderly conduct and being ordered by the court to apologize to a Buffalo cabbie for roughing him up, along with his cousin.
What happened to all that crap Kane said about getting his side of the story out? Well, his lawyer obviously didn't like the sound of his side of the story. Just so much BS. So it was put out with the garbage. And the media isn't holding Kane's feet to the fire for more BS on top of former BS.
"The league and union set up on multiple floors of the Empire Hotel and gave players like Penguins C Crosby and Blackhawks RW Kane time with NBC, Versus, ESPN America, TSN, Sirius, Sports Illustrated, USA Today and others," the news release stated in Street @ Smith.
In other words, time to feed the lions some meat at the Bronx Zoo to get the puck rolling for the start of another season.
These mass feedings always go so much better when the media swallows in one large monitored format. The NHL brought in talents such as Alex Ovechkin, Tim Thomas, Chris Pronger, Ryan Getzlaf, Evgeni Malkin, Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Jay Bouwmeester, Scott Gomez, Niklas Backstrom, Zdeno Chara, Marian Gaborik and the two young Blackhawks' stars.
What the NHL wants, and what the media often gives, are cute stories. For instance, Toews played it just right for the ESPN.com story.
"I cut the lawn a few times," he said of being home in Winnipeg for some of the summer. "I wouldn't say I'm a guest. It pretty much goes back to the way it is (growing up), fighting with my brother, getting in arguments with my mom. That's just normal."
Leave It To Beaver never said it better.
Toews even hinted at being able to possibly win a Stanley Cup championship in 2010.
"Hopefully, I'll have more to celebrate next summer," he added.
Kane tried to inject the same wholesome family atmosphere into his summer reflections before sinking into self-pity.
"I think I had some great nights with my family," he said. "I have a basketball court in my backyard and had a couple basketball tournaments with my buddies. Played in a little Sunday night league that was just kind of a fun league. Just a lot of fun things I can look back on and enjoy."
That led him right into feeling sorry for himself about working so hard this summer and not getting credit for it because of staying out one night until 5 a . m. and being part of the altercation where cabbie Jan Radecki reportedly had his nose and glasses broken.
Was it just one night, Patrick? Or just the one night you got caught? Wouldn't the Blackhawks like to know the answer to that.
"It's probably the hardest I've worked in my career on my body," Kane added. "I'm ready to get back into it, ready to get back into playing hockey."
Let's hope Kane isn't ready to get back into making excuse after excuse for what happened and how he became the victim of circumstance.
He needs to be told to zip the lip when he has an urge to say anything except that he is sorry to have put his family through such a horrible summer. End of story. Next question.
Unless the Blackhawks can hammer that home into his increasingly thick skull, I certainly will have my doubts if Kane is capable of learning much about his profession and his job responsibilities, skillful as he is.
Being 20 years old isn't an excuse for being ignorant about how to act when you have just put your family through hell.
You just have to act normal, as Toews would say. But Kane hasn't acted normal through all this, letting loose a flood of tears when it fit his purposes and now acting in front of the big bad media as if he was robbed of his rights by "people" not acknowledging he worked hard this summer.
As Kane returns to his peer group, he is likely to continue to show off his tough side and talk about how he got cheated out of his proper due. Just normal 20-year-old bravado.
Either the Blackhawks hit him hard now with some tough love about how to act and talk or Kane will go on being a 20-year-old baby who is just so misunderstood.
Gimme a break, Patrick. Grow up and drop the rattle.

Dave Morris said:

Gee Mike, I'm shocked that you're shocked that P-K bobbled the ball when it came to talking about his shabby cab conduct. The kid isn't exactly Thoreau when it comes to waxing philosophical about a life-changing experience.

"It was kinda cool" or "Wow, that kinda sucks" is probably as eloquent as Master Patrick will be now that the Media Piranhas have him in their crosshairs.

And to expect Sphinx-like composure from a twenty something with all that dough, and surrounded by the hotties in the photo above? Aaah caamaaaannn, already.

Hey, hormones will be hormones...all Twenty Cent needs to do is rock 'em like a HurriKane once he gets back to playing Hawkey.

Speaking of hockey, when does the furshtunkiner season start?

VegasHawksFan said:

Gotta say I agree pretty much across the board. Chicago, as a sports city does not tolerate whiners. The expectations for this team are very high this year and Kane is already a distraction. Scoring goals and shutting his mouth will erase everything, provided he acts like an adult at the Olympics when Toews and the other Canadians whip everyone's ass.

Dave Morris said:

@ nklhd12> Chicago DOES enjoy winers and diners, however...as Mike will tell you.

If Monsieur Huet, for example, takes Patrick under his wing, he could direct young Kane's effervescent overload towards more civilized pursuits such as Cordon Bleu cuisine. Pat will get much more quality action if he can whip up a souffle for the babes at Hef's,instead of trolling in Buffalo for Hooters Girls.

As for the Olympics, Ovie N Da Kremlin Krew might be doin' da whuppin... ;-)

dave504 said:

I read elsewhere Patrick Kane also said that, there's a lot that people don't know about what happened. Well, why don't you tell us then Patrick. If he did end up with any of those hotties in the photo, I suspect all that he would want is a good spanking and his diaper changed.

Dave Morris said:

Whoa, careful there, Dave...some people pay big money to get spanked by a hottie and have their diaper changed. Don't go giving young and innocent Pat any kinky ideas, eh. Hockey is wholesome entertainment for the whole family.

Forklift said:

Kaner is pretty well-known as Burish's biggest competition for Hawks #1 horndog.
Wonder if he still has his Taylor Swift poster...

Dave Morris said:

Hey, come on, Fork, those young ladies are from the Junior Auxiliary in Massapequa, and the photo was taken at their annual bake-off. Master Kane would never harbor untoward thoughts toward them. He was simply sampling their cupcakes.

andyc said:

Hey Mike, hello from Canada! Love the new blog and have been following as a hawk freak north of the border. I have to say though>>>>>enough with Patrick Kane saga.........its blogs and articles like this that keep this stupid chapter alive. it's old news, it's the same ol same ol comments and has become...as Arnold would say "Tiresome"
Give us some training camp dirt! Give us some rumours, tell me who looks like the best candidate for back up goaltender. Whats Dale been up too now that Stan's daddy helped him move all his files up to the top floor office with a view. Really do we need to hear anymore about the Cabbie saga? i say NO. The only thing left to cover here is when he returns to Buffalo for a Hawks Sabres match up...thats only an hours drive from Toronto and I'll be there. I'll take some photos of the silly signs in the stands for you. keep up the good work

Mike Kiley said:

Don't spoil my fun. Patrick Kane is the gift that keeps on giving. Some people have Dick Cheney. Some people have Charlie Sheen. I've got Kane and I don't plan to give him up until he invites me out for a night on the town.

florida boy said:

andyc said it right. enuf already bashing kane. i am 100% sure you (and all of us) did things we are not proud of when we were younger. the bottom line... i don't know what happen that night and neither do you. the only people who know what really happened (other than the kanes and the cabbie) are the judge/jury. and they let Kane off with little more than a slap on the wrist. so whatever did happen, could not have been as bad as you make it sound. did kane make a stupid mistake? yes. but get off his back already. geez.
i've read more than one of your anti-kane articles. what do you have against him anyway? I'll bet you have a man-crush on Kane, and you are just upset cuz he never "invites you out for a night on the town". or maybe your jealous b'c you were never a 20yr old superstar in the NHL? (i know i am jealous of that!!) you have re-hashed the kane story quite enough. please find something else to write about. go hawks

Mike Kiley said:

I must redirect all man-crush inquires to my Chicago Now brothers-in-blogging at Feast Of Fun. As my friends and enemies will tell you, the only man I have had a crush on is me, myself and I. Gives me someone to talk to, though.

Dave Morris said:

Hey, Florida Boy, come out of the sun and sat a spell...you're getting way too hot.

There's nothing but L-O-V-E (and we mean purely platonic, OK) for Pistol Pat on this blog. Can Kaner help it if he and his cuz struck out on Chippewa Street on a Saturday night and got into a tiff with an ornery Polish cabdriver in wee small hours?

Hey, it could happen to you. Except that you aren't a hockey superstar who has to be extra careful about stuff like that.

As for the Blackhawks, Mike and I were cheering for them when you weren't even an embryo. So chill, bro.

And try seeing the humor in all of this. It helps.

In the meantime, have another Smirnoff Slurpie, and don't forget the Bain de Soleil.

andyc said:

Wow, guess I've hit a tender note here... makes for a good blog....really just looking for other insider info other then Kane gossip!! Mike, never want to get in the way of another mans FUN. I do however suggest you move on temporarily to Bob Probert being involved in the figure skating competition TV show up here in Canada with Tie Domi...WTF?