Black Jack

White Sox' Beckham Rookie Of The Year?

With yesterday's dramatic finish in the Sox 4-2 win over the Twins being sparked by back to back 2 out homers by Gordon Beckham and Paul Konerko, the young Sox third baseman is continuing his very productive rookie season.
   But will it be enough to garner a ROY award at season's end?  Beckham's batting average has dropped over the past 10 days yet his production has remained consistent.  Averaged to a full season, Beckham would have hit 20 HR's had over 100 RBI with 50 doubles and close to 90 runs scored.  That's one hell of a season.

If we add all of that to the reality of learning a new position at the Big League level, in what until recently was a tight pennant race,  it's even more impressive.

Beckham's biggest threats seem to be the Rays' Jeff Niemann, the Jays' Ricky Romero and the Tigers Rick Porcello.  All three could end up close to 200 IP with 15 or so wins.  The fact that they have had closer to a full season to compile numbers may be to Beckham's disadvantage.  especially if the Tigers hold on to win the Central division title.

bighurt27 said:

I think you gotta throw Andrew Bailey into the ROY discussion but all things said, I like Gordon's chances.

Jack McDowell said:

AWWWW, don't get me started on closers again!

bighurt27 said:

Oh I know I dont like the idea of closers for ROY either but he at least makes the conversation.

Brian said:

I've got your back on the closer thing...as far as I'm concerned, you won the 92 Cy Young...

part-time pariah said:

if it ain't bacon, it's bailey. sorry bj.

Jack McDowell said:

I'll take you on with that one! I think a rookie starter who wins 15 games for a division winner will get more votes either way. At least he should!

Luzinskisbeard said:

While it would be awesome if he did win AL Rookie of the Year, the bigger question for me is have we reached the point where as Beckham goes, so do the White Sox?

Just briefly looking at the numbers, the last time we were in first place was July 23 (I'm pretty sure Buehrle had a good game that day), Gordon was hitting .291. Another interesting correlation is on August 4th, Beckham was hitting a season high .316, and we were a game out of first (granted we were a pedestrian 3 games over .500). In the meantime, during this dreadful collapse of last week-as well as 3-3 homestand vs the Royals and O's before that, Beckham's batting average dropped all the way down to .271.

I understand that brief analysis seems like specious logic, and I'm sure there are other baseball nerd stats out there like "win-shares" that probably would be a better way to look at it. Still though, it just seems to me that he's become the lifeblood/lightning rod/(insert generic baseball term here) of this team, and his success has a direct effect on the teams' success. Am I way off here?

Orestes said:

I think to some degree your on the money...Beckham is slowly acquiring whatever leadership reins there were in that dugout and he is evolving into "the Guy" and he has an effect on the rest of the team....it's a work in progress, so just keep watering it and watch it grow...

Jack McDowell said:

I don't think you're wrong. He is a special player who will turn out to be a true stud.

Luzinskisbeard said:

That's exactly what I'm referring to, and what the plan should be. It just seems that it's pretty rare for the White Sox to win a game he goes 0-4 with 3 K's in. To me it seems Beckham's usually in the box score with a hit, or a walk with a run scored whenever they win a game.