Black Jack

Jake Peavy ready to launch

Okay, none of us guessers got the date right, but after all the hoopla, tension and eventually watching the Sox chances fade, Jake Peavy is ready to take the hill.
   Peavy is slated to face the Royals this coming Saturday.  It's a first glimpse of the Sox' potential number one gun for the fans, and the first glimpse of the everyday American League for Peavy.

Jake still says he isn't 100%.  Realistically, this time of the season, nobody is.  So don't be fooled.  Now the speculation starts as to whether Peavy will be the 17-20 game winner a number one pitcher offers.

More importantly, however is who is the true #2 going into next year?  That remains the true question for the Sox.  A solid rotation top to bottom does not translate into a playoff appearance and a chance to win it all.  A couple of studs at the top does.  And to tell you the truth, I'm not sure Danks or Floyd haven't already shown us where they are going to fit into a rotation...ie 3 or 4.

Last prediction yet to be uncovered, how many games will peavy win?  i'm sticking to my number 2.

lesnessman said:

I think you indicated in a previous post that Peavy is the real deal. I hope you are right.
So far, everything about this guy indicates the opposite. His comments prior to joining the Sox could reasonably be interpreted as evidencing fear of the AL. He knows that his NL inflated stats are meaningless until he proves he can do it in the AL.
Since he's been here, he failed to answer the bell when we needed him. Now he returns at home against KC when we are out of it (no pressure).
I understand that typical players would prefer an optimal scenario when they step out there in front of a city hoping for a stud performance. But I do not feel good about the fact that this guy might feel that way.
BTW, any concern that this guy has had ONE WINNING SEASON IN HIS LAST FOUR???

Jason Gage said:

Gavin Floyd has been one of the best pitchers in baseball since June 1st. He's been absolutely brilliant, giving up little runs and going deep into almost every one of his appearances. Buehrle was strong most of the season but Gavin Floyd has been the Sox best starter this year and I think you could make a case he was there best starter last year.

The best part is he's only getting more confident in his arsenal, which includes a much improved change-up, two plus curves and a couple fastballs.

Put him as a #2 or #3 with Buehrle, Danks and either a talented youngster like Hudson or a crafty veteran like Garcia and you are talking about a rotation not only built to dominate in the regular season, but one that should dominate the post-season.

Noneck said:

The Sox are hoping Peavy will be able to get 2 home starts to bring a little bit of return on their investment for this year. Will the Sox win either of these 2? With their hitting struggles and bullpen problems, probably not.

Next year if Peavy is stud#1 , I think the only other possible stud is Floyd. Danks seems to have that problem with finger numbness which may be more serious than is published. Buehrle has never been a stud and wont suddenly become one next year.

Rick S said:

The Sox have never really had a number one. In '05, Contreras became the number one in the second half, but Buerhle, our "ace", is really only a supporting piece. I think that's one of the main reasons why KW was willing to grab Peavy when he was on the DL.

If the Sox don't completely retool their bullpen, it won't matter if Cy Young himself starts for the team. Unfortunately, it looks as though we need to add Jenks to the list of pen arms who can't get it done. He's still young, so it's hard to say the guy's washed up. Still, his ERA has been climbing over the last couple of years. Hey, with the $5 mil Jenks made this year, say $3.2 after taxes, he never has to work another day in his life.

This has been a truly disgusting season of underachievement. It would be different if we had the payroll of the Pirates, but these guys, from Dye, to Rios and through the bullpen with the exception of Thornton and Carassco, just flat out shit-the-house. I only wish we could force these multi-millionaires to see what the average fan has had to bear witness to this season.

My only note of satisfaction is that I haven't given a dime to MLB since the '94 strike. Only when teaches and firemen get paid the same as ballplayes will I ever return to the stadium. No knock on you Jack or any other ballplayer who cashes these fat checks. This is about the douchebag who sits in the stands wearing his $99.00 team jersey while blowing another c-note on tix, parking and beer. Meanwhile, his kid gets middling grades in public school and grows up to be an idiot just like dad. (but I digress . . .)

Jack McDowell said:

Just for shits and giggles, do you ever go see a play or a movie or any other form of entertainment?

Rick S said:

Most of the films/plays I go see are free via one of the guilds I belong to. But to your point, a movie costs $10. They usually nick you another $2 for parking. If you're stupid enough to buy three cents worth of popcorn for $4, that's still only sixteen dollars total. How far will that take you at a ML ballgame? I rarely go to concerts anymore for the same basic reason. Also, I've already seen virtually every band worth seeing (mostly for free cause I used to write for music mags) so it's rare I'll pop for a show. I paid $45 to see the Kings of Leon at Nokia last year, which is my ceiling for a concert. Even $45 can't get you a good box seat at a baseball game. Bottom line, going out to see something, be it baseball or a film, can be fantastic, But I think it's gotten way out of proportion to what people make for a living. For the last two decades, people charged everything or took lines of credit on their artificially inflated homes to pay for all this. No surprise that the bubble finally burst. People's spending habits will follow suit, which is why fewer bands are touring this year. It seems to have affected baseball salaries as well. I think this is a good thing because for too long, the population as a whole has had their heads up their asses.

Noneck said:

Jack,
How the heck did you get those guys to hit for Peavy? You also got 3 relievers to give you 4 scoreless innings. Damn, why didn't you use that magic potion earlier this year?

Noneck said:

Oh I forgot to tell you. Your buddy Ken Harrelson praised you in your many gutty performances then said you should quit blogging.

Jack McDowell said:

Did he have a reason for me quitting?

Noneck said:

Of course not but I suspect he is just being the company spokesperson. Bet they are not pleased with your candid comments.

UGODOG said:

Peavy pitched Sat..the Sox or KW make it look like he's the next Nolan Ryan.. Decent start but he was only in 5 innings.3 runs. extrap it out it would have been 6 runs in 9 innings..

KW wants him to start..to save his @ss for a bad trade..also nice Rios pick KW.... ALso, Ozzie you have managed since the 05 championship..

Athrun said:

Considering it was his first start after being injured for 4 months i think he did great.