Black Jack

White Sox underachieving?

Chicago White Sox GM Kenny Williams has labeled this year's team "underachievers."  That's one way to piss guys off and light a fire for a hopeful playoff run, but is it true?
   When I read Kenny's comments I could see the logic behind it.  As a TEAM, the White Sox could have won more games along the way.  But as you search around through the stats, there aren't necessarily individual players underachieving.

That's why baseball is such an interesting sport.  The intangibles of team baseball.  Stars and stats don't win games.  Baseball players win games and they do it by playing team baseball.  I truly don't know what the White Sox can actually do with the underachiever comment.  Chemistry and hot streaks just happen, they truly aren't created.

Interesting thought though, Kenny Williams just took on a huge contract for a player who was let go because he was underachieving, and who's teammates and staff claim is halfhearted at best.

george said:

Could the Sox just be bad at baseball this year. They came into the year with questions about CQ's wrist. Turned out he had other problems and didn't perform like expected. There was no clear cut center fielder. Dye has been ok. PK has been ok. They knew they were going to have growing pains with Getz and Fields. On top of it they sent Fields down because he was real bad. "Bacon" was done well at the plate and average in the field. AJ has been fine. On top of it they were banking on Colon and Jose to come back to form. If you ask me that was a total strech on Kennys part to think they would be in contention for a division. Luckly the division is really bad as well.

eriqjaffe said:

If I had a nickel for every time I heard somebody talk about "lighting a fire" under the Sox, I'd be able to afford Scout Seats. Sometimes, I don't think you could light a fire under the White Sox if you have a flamethrower.

Jason Gage said:

It is playing the game right and doing the little things and this year the Sox have failed to do that and its why they are 16-21 in one run games.

Easily the biggest difference between this club and 05 is the inability to pull out the close games.

part-time pariah said:

you're right blackjack, the stats don't lie. we should be en fuego.

i blame shitty defense.

RichN said:

Worst defense in the AL, horrible batting average with RISP, total inability to sacrifice bunt and hit-and-run has offset a better than expected pitching performance.

Put it all together and stir for 120 games, and you have what you would expect--basically a .500 ballclub. No underachieving involved.

folky15 said:

I agree completely except for the 'better than expected pitching.' I'd say our starters have been meeting expectations, not exceeding them. The bullpen, not quite meeting expectations. With Rios and Peavy, we improve our defense and the top of our rotation. Hopefully we get the youngsters at least a bit of playoff experience this year, and make a deep run next year.

chicagoman said:

I'm sorry but does this team know the fundamentals of playing baseball? Guys don't cover bases or know when to. I was at a Yank game when a ball was hit to left field. SS should go out to cut off and second baseman cover second. Second baseman was at the SS position. I'm yelling for him to cover second.

Lucky he got back to tag the guy out. Same game Dye just threw the ball in without even hitting the cut off guy. He just threw it into the infield at nobody. I was taught this at 7 years old. I'm 59 now. I taught my kids to play like old school. Run out infield ground outs.

You have OF'ers letting fly balls dropping between them. Looking like dummies. Who's the boss out there. The centerfielder. Has the times changed that much? Can't bunt, run, throw or pitch. Underachieving? Their lucky their record isn't worst than what it is.

lesnessman said:

2 things:
1. That's Kenny and Ozzie saying "we did our job, so if our record indicates that we suck, it must be the players' fault." Pimpy.
2. Look at the top players on the elite teams in MLB. Manny, Vlad, ARod, Jeter, Pujols plus top pitchers...Those players account for more than a few games per year. The Sox have some nice players, but not at that elite level. That is why they are only several games above .500

RichN said:

I like your first point. Maybe Williams is "under-general managering" and Guillen is "under-managing". I also have my doubts about the hitting coach.

Jimmymac120912 said:

A team cannot be underachieving if they play the defense the White Sox play. Jack, you mentioned "hot streaks", how can a team go on a 6 or 7 game winning streak without a 4th or 5th starter? This team can not catch fly balls in the outfield, throw the ball to first base from shortstop, or hit the cut off man on a fly. I don't care how much Rios cost them, at least he can run to the ball and catch it!!!!

Jsan171 said:

People can say what they want about Kenny and Ozzie, I personally do not like some of their moves, that I feel HAVE hurt the team. I am not a Linebrink fan, poor performance after poor performance; finally losing his setup role (apparently). The trade for Swisher still hurts, we in essence traded Ryan Sweeney for a guy from NY (via Swisher) who will never contribute. This move to get Tony Pena was awful. Question the chemistry of Rios, who suffers there... in the end its Pods (the one feel good story) and opens the door to push Jim or Jermaine out the door. The underachiever mantra is probably the best thing that has come out of his office... I for once agree. The Blown Saves, the fifth inning demise, and the inconsistency of Bobby. Bobby resembles that closer that was in Cleveland for so many years; you can count on one hand the three and out appearances that Bobby has. I say a small prayer EVERY time he takes the mound. Dont get me wrong, I love him, but he scares the hell out of me... always a base hit, always a walk or two..

chisoxt said:

I thought that I was the only one who does not like the big high profile moves that Williams makes. I did not like the Swisher trade, I think he sold low on Vasquez, Pena is horrible, Linevrink is bad and I am veruy nervous about the Jake Peavy deal. Getting him ostensiblt to help you htis year is ludicrous given that he may not even pitch until September if at all. And don't tell me about his great years in San Diego... It is debatable on whetther he even comes close to matching that success given the tougher league, hitter friendly US Cellular Field and his affinity for injuries.

Truth be told, Willimas best moves are the little ones he makes...getting AJ, Jenks, Dye and Iguchi for nothing... Signing Alexi...trading for Thorton, Danks and Floyd...signing Pods off of the scrap heap...

Jimmymac120912 said:

Bob Wickman is the closer you are comparing Jenks too. Not a bad comparison, I believe everytime the Sox faced that guy they had runners on and were threatening to score.

Rick S said:

The one area they are seriously underachieving is in the bullpen -- I'm looking at NoTell Dotel and Linestink. These guys get paid big bucks to be reliable set-up men and they have been terribly inconsistent all year. Jenks' bouts of shakiness have offset a stellar performance by Thornton -- the only stud out there at the moment. Carassco has done his job well, but Pena and the rest of the assclowns they've tossed in there have been subpar.

As for fielding, they went into the year with Nervous Ramirez -- get this kid some psychiatric help before he has some serious incident. Nix is NOT A MAJOR LEAGUER and has accounted for nine of the league-leading 90 errors. Can't say you are underachieving on defense when you give up fielding for bats at several positions and the guys who are supposed to be slick fielders -- Alexie -- turn out to be head cases.

UGODOG said:

U Live by the Elephant U die By the Elephant... Thomain and Kantnerko..both slow Thome can't hit a fast ball over 90..Konerko can't hit a curve unless it hangs..If they are on 1st base U need a triple to get them in.. KW U don't have Rollie Hemond to Bail you out of your own poop you created...Ozzie Your LATINO fetish is catching up to you. If there is a Latino standing on 35th and Shields he'll put them on the team..

george said:

That comment just proves you know nothing about baseball.

Shinons said: