Black Jack

Peavy's White Sox organization debut a success

Not that three minor league innings are completely telltale, but Jake Peavy's return to live action in AAA went smoothly.  What I liked to see was the strikeouts.
   As I have said before, Jake Peavy is a stuff guy.  His fastball moves a lot and his breaking ball is top notch.  There aren't many guys in AAA that will have his kind of breaking ball so he will get many swings and misses in his short stint there.

Just remember it's hard to say whether that success actually shows big league ready command for Jake.  There's a reason guys are in AAA rather than being in the Bigs. Offensively this usually translates a developing plate discipline which Peavy can exploit down there.

The other thing to keep in mind is the switch from National to American League.  Anyone paying attention to Cliff Lee's move in the other direction will understand.  3-0 with an ERA around 1.00 is complete domination.  Much like C.C. Sabathia last year, Lee is laughing his butt off every time the lineup turns over and the pitcher's spot comes up!  It's a bit different over here in the AL.

Jason Gage said:

I agree that the AL is the premiere offensive division and that it is much harder to pitch in the AL compared to the NL. However, I think for a premiere pitcher (which Peavy is) the adjustment is less than it would be for a guy that relies on mediocre stuff.

I believe most staticians indicate that there is about a .5ERA difference between leagues but I'm not a stat guy so I could be wrong. I think that difference is weighted heavily on those mediocre to poor pitchers that make the jump and that for a guy like Peavy who has plus stuff we should see a minimal change (if he's pitching like he's capable of).

Gotta love the initial reports on his stuff, 90-94 on the fastball and he showed pretty good command of his off-speed pitch for a guy that hadn't pitched in a couple months.

Shinons said:

"If I were an NL team, I'd always have my eye out for league average pitchers with good stuff in the AL cause they'll typically be much better in the NL. And if I'm in the AL, I look more for guys with the plus stuff who shouldn't take as much of a hit to there ERA."

Yep - the Braves did a great job of this by picking up Vasquez.

Mario Scalise said:

While I think the quality in hitters is better in the AL - by quality, I mean lineups top to bottom and not quantity of great hitters - I would agree with you. The one thing I'd look at it is how many times an NL pitcher put men on base with the No. 8/9 hitter(s) coming up? It seems to me a lot of NL pitchers get bailed out of jams thanks to the pitcher, where in the AL, there is a much greater chance of a ball being put in play and put in play hard. I guess that may be where the .50 comes into play.

part-time pariah said:

let's not forget, sweaty freddy struck out 9 against pawtuckett (including brian anderson 3 times, LOL). i'm not familiar with boston's farm, does pawtuckett suck, or were those legitimate performances?

Mario Scalise said:

Damn ... I didn't notice Brian Anderson played. Doesn't that sorta take some air out of Peavy's outing?

Mario Scalise said:

Nevermind, Anderson only had one at bat and got a hit.

part-time pariah said:

aaahahahahaha, yea pitching to anderson would definitely lower the curve...

rustysurf83 said:

Just to put Pawtucket's offensive prowess into perspective, BA was the 2nd best hitter in the lineup against Peavy... with a .268 avg...

Jason Gage said:

Pawtuckett is one of the worse hitting teams in the International League, if not the worse hitting one. Brian Anderson, who I think we all know can't hit, was a part of 3 of those strikeouts.

Mario Scalise said:

I don't think he was though, surprisingly. I think he came in to play after Peavy left and went 1-for-1.

Jason Gage said:

I was referring to the 3 times he struck out against Sweaty Freddy

Rick S said:

Peavy probably won't be as dominant here. A lot depends on whether he develops the next level of the pitching game. Right now he's more a thrower than a pitcher. Guys like Pedro in his prime were both.

At 58-57, you have to be disappointed in the Sox. They are very lucky to have any real shot at the playoffs with that record. They've lost too many close games and have .500 records against the likes of Cleveland and KC. They play hot against the Yanks and Angels and then freeze up in Minnesota and Detroit. It's been a year where you really don't know what to think about the fabric of this team.

Buerhle and Floyd are the only two starters who have pitched with any consistency. Danks continues to be a tease. He should have signed his extension.

Thornton is the only real star in the bullpen, though I think Jenks has been unfairly maligned and is going to be solid from here on out. Will Linebrink, Dotel and Pena step it up? Maybe one of them. Carassco's been a surprise savior in his long relief role.

Konerko and Dye are clearly in lulls at the moment. It seemed like Quentin might pick it up for them but then he swanned in Seattle along with Beckham who clearly needs a break.

I really hate that we're stuck with having Nix so deep in the mix. The errors are more the problem than his anemic batting average. Can't believe KW cant find someone on the wire better than Nix.

Clearly the Sox know they are going to shed at least three big contracts with Contreras (10m), Thome (part of $13m) and Dotel ($6m) and possibly Dye's $11m and are shopping early. I like the strategy.

dlbass said:

Does is matter if Peavy's ERA isn't as dominant as it was in the NL? Bottom line, he was good enough to out duel his opponent 19 out of 25 times in 2007. Even if his ERA is closer to 4.00 with the Sox, as long he out pitches his opponent, I think we are in business.