Black Jack

Peavy throws scoreless 5

Once again, what does that mean?  Jake was hit by a line drive on his second to last pitch of the evening.
  He'll be sore, and will make all of his scheduled workouts.  How do I know this...I just do, just as I knew the general vicinity of his return, which is still up in the air.

But for all THIS year's Sox fans, dow you wish Clayton Richard was still here instead of struggling Jose Contreras?  Just wondering.  he's 3-0 over in the National League pitching for probably the worst squad in the league.

Is that the difference in leagues that I have hammered on?

Rick S said:

In the short term, it would have been nice to have Richard in there. However, it seems that the reason they got Peavy is our #1, Mr. Perfect, has a tendency to choke when you need him to perform. Look at a guy like Verlander or Lee to see what a real #1 is supposed to do. Buerhle swanned in the second half of '05 as I recall as it took a commanding Aug-Sept from Contreras to get the pennant. I don't know how good Peavy is going to be in the AL, but realizing that Buehrle is a much better 2 or 3 starter is a step in the right direction for the team as a whole. BTW -- Does Ozzie think he's owes Garcia something? I'd rather let Torres, Hudson or any guy we have on the farm get a shot than Freddy. We've wasted one game with Freddy. Watch him get chewed up by the third inning tomorrow.

Jack McDowell said:

That was my argument all along about the Peavy signing. Could it have been done in the offseason? And as far as Buerhle goes, it may just be that he usually relies on guys "getting themselves out" which over the course of the season will get good results, but doesn't necessarily translate to every game dominance.

PawsOut said:

I'm fine risking this season and scooping up Peavy when the demand for him was minimal. This offseason, who knows what teams would be involved. More teams increase the asking price and the advantage of the Padres' desperation to unload salary becomes moot.

I wish Clayton Richard could have stayed on the Sox and if I will fault KW for anything in the deal it is not trying to keep Clay Dick on the team. (Of course, maybe he did and the Pads wouldn't budge)

Regardless, I can't wait to have Peavy pitching every 5 days for the Sox, I don't much care if that happens this season.

Jack McDowell said:

Poreda is the guy you'll be bummed about down the road. And you missed the biggest point of all...the no-trade clause. You say "teams" would have been involved. Jake wasn't open to many teams to waive the clause. That's why, once they knew he would waive it, the demand would NOT increase in the offseason, because teams knew they wouldn't have a chance.

Rick S said:

Well Jack, cancelled my sub to MLB.TV this morning. It's not the money, just the frustration of watching this terrible, terrible team shoot themselves in the foot day in and day out.

You just knew that after Dye and AJ failed to bring the runner in from 3rd in the 7th that the Sox would lose again. Linestink made sure of it with another crap outing. Two years back, KW went out and spent lots of money on free agent relievers, Dotel and Linebrink. They have both been complete busts and brought NOTHING to this team. The only thing good about Dotel is that his contract is up this year. Sox need to dump Linestink on some NL team, the league where he actually had success. If they have to pick up some of his contract to do so, so be it. I hate having this schmuck on the team.

This season is DONE, FINITO, OVER! Sox need to play their kids from here on out. Shut down Peavy and let him rehab over the offseason. Shut down Quentin before he reinjures his foot.

For next year, let Thome, Dye and Contreras go but do it with class. Dump Dotel and publicly humiliate him. Trade Linestink. Trade Ramirez. Put Beckham at short. Make Nix a BACK-UP, not a starter. Find a way to keep the promising Getz healthy. Find a real 3rd baseman (Figgins?) Restock the pen with guys who have some ability and purpose. Find a decent fifth starter and start bringing back old Sox retreads like Colon and Garcia. They can do all these things and still have less payroll than they had this year, even with Rios and Peavy's big contracts.

The good thing about KW, is that he's seeing the same disaster we're seeing and will probably make the right moves. Even getting Dotel and Linebrink, at the time, made sense. At least KW tries, which, if you've been a Sox fan for more than a decade, is a nice change from where this club used to be.

Jack McDowell said:

Now don't you wish the Sox listened to me and traded Contreras when he was hot, Dotel and Dye before the deadline to get some action in return????????

Rick S said:

You could have got something for Dye, but unless the other GMs have been asleep the past two years, the return on Contreras and Dotel would have been minimal. Jack, we had a real chance at this division until these guys mentally shut it down -- I'd say the nightmare locked itself in during the 14-inning loss at Seattle, when they realized they couldn't buy a hit or a fly ball with RISP.

Oh well, at least now I can get some work done around the house. Watching baseball is a time drain and something that I have to get over on my wife, who insists all TV is a waste of time. The problem is that she's generally right.

part-time pariah said:

i'm praying to the baseball gods that they give sweaty one helluva short leash.

our long summer continues...

part-time pariah said:

do you ever get out to petco blackjack?

Jack McDowell said:

I've been out there a handful of times.

Noneck said:

Jack,

I dont think it matters about when or if he comes back. The Tigers keep beating the Angels and the ground will be too hard to pick up.

Have you met Peavy? Have you spoke to anyone that coached, played with or against him?

Jack McDowell said:

Not sure I agree with the ground being too much to gain. There's still over a month left! The ground could realistically be made up over a weekend. I've met Jake briefly before. I know Bud Black well and also a bunch of guys who played with him. He's the real deal, a gamer.

Noneck said:

Thanks again for your insight. I read about Peavy getting hit in the elbow yesterday. If there is a problem, please try to get the word out to him, not to see sawbone Andrews.

btw: I love gamers, one of the reasons you were tops on my list. Hope Peavy is also able to give some leadership this Sox club seems to be lacking.

lesnessman said:

To say that you knew the general vicinity of his return is a stretch if he returns on the road against the Yankees or Twins. The Sox were hoping for late August. You said they were wrong and predicted Sept. 11th.
People like me predicted Aug 31st.

webegeek said:

I'm really bummed, I predicted his first start to be the 29th, dead on perfect until that damn line drive....

Jack McDowell said:

Not sure they would have actually thrown him then. Just "getting" to 5 innings is not what they need. They need him ready for 7 "big league" innings. Quite different.

Jack McDowell said:

Yeah, that is what speculation is about. But let's see how this all plays out before passing judgment. No winner will be declared until the man throws his next big league pitch!

lesnessman said:

With the line drive injury, noboby could rightfully be declared a winner.
If someone would have predicted an August, 2010 return date, I would have called that person an idiot. If Peavy gets hit by a truck tomorrow and returns in August, 2010, the guy who predicted that date is still an idiot.
He would have been able to return this weekend if not for the line drive. If he returns on September 11th, you were wrong.

Jack McDowell said:

Okay, so you're calling me an idiot? Go back and read the posts and comments. I made it VERY clear that he would return quicker if EVERYTHING goes right etc. You're the idiot and I'm the expert because things rarely go exactly as planned. I think I mentioned injury, bad starts, and weather as possible setbacks, so suck on losing and realize that I am rarely wrong and have never been wrong in this blog! I have an advantage to this stuff over the general public because my whole life has been witnessing this stuff. So I can't gloat too much... But I can when I'm called an idiot! I win, yet again, suck on it!!!!!

Jack McDowell said:

You know, I'm not done with you quite yet. This was a long term speculation as to the ACTUAL date he pitched. There are no what if's and but's allowed, period. We also asked how many games he will win. I suppose if the bullpen blows one for him you'll say "but he should have won." Wake up to reality and quit whining!

lesnessman said:

You are not right on the sept. 11th date yet.
One thing you were wrong about was referring to Peavy as a gamer. This guy is soft. His actions show that he is afraid to pitch in the AL. We all sit around and wait for this prima donna to pitch and then, after weeks, he recently declares he is ready "whenever the team needs me." They needed you 3 weeks ago!!! Typical egotistical blowhard.

Jack McDowell said:

Ha! Closer than anyone who voted! But you are so frustrated that #1 you were wrong and #2 you don't know how much time it takes to come back from NOT THROWING FOR SIX WEEKS!!! This has nothing to do with NOT wanting to pitch, it just takes time to get game ready. And setbacks are part of the deal. Why are you SOOO mad that I actually had an idea of how this would play out?

rustysurf83 said:

From what I've read Peavy said it was a glancing blow and threw fine afterwards. It is kind of sad that we have to rely on a recently traded, rahabbing pitcher to provide some sort of leadership given the name on this roster but I hope you're correct no neck. If Peavy can't go on Jose's next turn I'd let Hudson get a shot. I'm guessing the guy can go 4 innings and give up less than 6 runs; that would seem to be an upgrade at this point.

PawsOut said:

I will never understand why teams continue to parade out retread veterans rather than a rookie. Sure, the rookie may stink...but the vet most of the time is guaranteed to stink.

Jack can you give any insight on this? I don't want to get your ire up, because I'm not saying vets are never better than rooks, I'm saying in instances like a Jose Contreras who has been so bad for so long, why can't a team just give up and throw the rookie out there? Same goes with other guys around the league (Mike Hampton, Oliver Perez, Jason Schmidt, Mark Mulder, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Brad Penny, etc)

Jack McDowell said:

There are a lot of guys who get tons of chances. i always used to say that you're better off NEVER having a great year because those guys have everyone drooling. All the executives think they will be the genius when Javier Vasquez wins the Cy Young! It's amazing. maybe I should come back!

part-time pariah said:

McDowell
Peavy
Buehrle
Danks
Floyd

that's one hell of a rotation right there.

rustysurf83 said:

Peavy's bullpen session today was cancelled. Coop said one more rehab start. At this pace the Sox will be 6 or 7 out by the times he's ready...shut him down for the year.

Jack McDowell said:

my Sept. 11th prediction looks closer every day!!!!!

Noneck said:

I truly think the ship will have already sailed by 9/11. I just dont see any reason to let Peavy pitch if they are a cooked goose.

webegeek said:

even if they are out of it, they will let him pitch a couple of games at the end of the season to sell tickets for next year.

Jack McDowell said:

They're rushing him as it is. he threw only 5 innings , ONE TIME. That is not where he needs to be to be Jake Peavy. And cruising through 5 triple A innings amounts to about one time through the lineup in the show.

Noneck said:

It appears everyone will be wrong on their predictions. Unless they are stupid enough to throw him in a meaningless September game to get some walk ups. His next start should be opening day 2010.

Jack McDowell said:

The opening day start will go to Buerhle either way.

Noneck said:

Never know how that schedule will work out unless the Sox open at home.

UGODOG said:

KW..Trade for Peavy... Rios contract! KW gets the IDIOT GM award for 09...Reinsdorf must have dementia to keep KW&OG on the payroll..but Wait! I hear Rollie Hemond's phone ringin to help KW AGAIN!