Black Jack

Former White Sox pitcher Jim Parque and steroids

So Jim Parque writes a rambling account of his short career and mentions he took HGH to try and come back after shoulder surgery.

Yawn.

Wake up out there folks. The Mitchell Report only scratched the surface. If you think that Radomski was the only person to supply steroids to the Major Leaguers you're nuts.

Well that is the only connection to the names in the report.  And the "list" who tested positive only covers a single year of baseball...after they were TOLD they were gonna be tested.

While I personally would love to see the entire list revealed, we would still not even scratch the surface as to the totality of steroid use over a 20 year period in baseball.

Come on, everybody scolded and doubted Jose Canseco when he came out with his claims.

Why doesn't everybody go back to those years with the Oakland A's and watch the bodies change of some of teammates. And by the way, how many career "resurgencies" did the A's "coaching" staff bring about in those years? It doesn't take much studying to see all the signs.

There are numerous Hall-Of-Famers, All-Stars, Award Winners and All American milk drinking beloved frauds that would be exposed if we knew the truth.

Craig Kanalley said:

Interesting insight, thanks for posting. Means a lot more coming from you, having played in the league, as opposed to a lot of other people's opinions.

Sgt. Tibs said:

I would love to see the full list revealed as well, which could be a benefit for the league in the long-run... perhaps bring closure to the era since people and the media will always speculate until there is an answer released. Your point on how it doesn't take much studying to see all the signs is a good one also.

Craig Kanalley said:

Same here. I want to see the list..

Jack McDowell said:

Just remember, the list is still only scratching the surface of the total picture of 15 years.

joey said:

If everyone seemingly used them, I don't understand what the big deal is. Tiger Woods can get Lasik to fix his eyes, and that's legal.

But hey, if you're a baseball fan, there are positives. A story relating to baseball was on the cover of the paper today!

Jack McDowell said:

Remember when Tiger came in as a skinny little kid? How about his physique now? Did Lasik do that as well? Just wondering.

joey said:

My inference may lead me astray here--what are you suggesting Mr. McDowell?

Noneck said:

Jack , You got me thinking now. Does golf test?

Don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong. Let's google it

Jack McDowell said:

Looks like they started last year! Ha! We'll see if he can keep on Nicklaus' pace now!

Jason Gage said:

Also just an FYI, one of the reasons golf started testing was because Tiger continued to bring up the need for testing to make sure it was a level playing field.

Tiger Woods is clean and ridiculously good at what he does!

Jack McDowell said:

Tiger is good. We have been absolutely overfed with how much better he has been than anyone else to play the game of golf, yet Jack Nicklaus' numbers at the same age are remarkably similar. And I say remarkably because the common fan would have NO IDEA of this fact. That being said, how is it that you are so certain Tiger is clean? What about the change in his body and the obliteration of his knee? One of the telltale signs of all that is the weakening of major ligaments.

Jack McDowell said:

Jason compare these two photos: http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/campus.stanford.top10/images/woods.jpg

and

Jimmymac120912 said:

Jack,
The Jim Parque thing is a joke. He says he came out because he had to get it off his conscience. Well, how about the jobs you stole from other hard working pitchers with injuries? It makes me sick how the media turns guys like Parque into a good honest citizen because he admitted "doing wrong" I feel bad for the guy who was a borderline triple A pitcher and major league pitcher. As for Tiger Woods, that guy is could play safety for the Bears. However, I do think the technology of the clubs and the balls are what makes the difference. Just being a casual golfer with old clubs, I know. I have swung the new Cobras and Callaways, and it probably put 25 to 30 yds on my swing. Those clubs just make you swing a lot easier and smoothly. Just think how far and straight would Arnold Palmer if he was using the "Nike Sumo"

Jack McDowell said:

Check out these photos for the difference http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/campus.stanford.to p10/images/woods.jpg and http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/upload/39536/images/tiger-woods.jpg I lifted my ass off my entire career. I got a helluva lot stronger, yet I still remain a skinny ass kid! I'm just sayin'. Also I agree with your assessment of Parque. A bunch of crap. A ton of guys got screwed by staying clean. Those guys should sue MLB. Class action. Then we'd find out how every GM knew this shit as did every owner. The GM's during the time would tell those who stayed clean, " you have to put on 30 pounds in the offseason to compete." Well, the offseason is truly 3 months. Good Luck! Body type change like we have seen in the past 20 years in ALL SPORTS does not occur naturally.

Jimmymac120912 said:

Jack,
I looked at the photos, but it doesnt tell me anything. Tigers driving distance is not nearly as far as say a Hendrick Stenson, Geoff Olglivy, or Phil Mickeleson. Like I said its the technolgy of clubs. For the average golfer its simply of who has the best clubs in the bag. I truly believe that. As far as baseball goes can career minor league players sue the MLB for such behavior? That would be interesting. My great grandfather and grandfater were career minor league players, so I know they would be rolling over in their grave on how things are turning out.
As far as you lifting your ass of and still being skinny. That does not really mean anything. I played football all through college never took anything minor such as creatine, and still gained 30 lbs between my sophmore and junior year. I think that just has to do with genetics.

Jack McDowell said:

I do admit that genetics have a lot to do with it, but did your body type change with the added weight? Did you go from an in shape athlete to a bulked up monster? The pictures of Tiger show a skinny kid and then a monster who's arms and chest are huge. Not sure about the genetics there. And all this that you keep telling me "doesn't mean anything." Well, it is obviously not definitive, but common sense has to play a part. Looking at a situation, evaluating and deciding have to mean something. Blindly believing is not recommended on this blog!

webegeek said:

yes, you can change your body type to a degree. In college I went from a 125/130 six mile a day runner to a 160lb member of the 1000lb club in 18 months, while still running, and changed my body type. What Tiger has done seems normal. It depends how you lift weights. If you go heavy low reps, you build differently than 3 sets of 15 reps with light weights build.

As for Parque, I seem to be more understanding of his decision process than most people here. Let's face it, if tomorrow they came out with a steroid that would guarantee any salesperson taking it would increase their closing ratio by 40%, just about every sales rep in the country would be taking it, hell, sales managers would be dumping it in the water cooler. Or if they came out with a steroid that guaranteed to increase a lawyers performance by 30%, almost every lawyer would be taking the stuff.

Look at the studies that show doctors are taking Ritalin and other type drugs to increase their cognitive abilities, we are a drug culture.

Anyone here taking pills to help them live longer? Fish oils, extracts from grapes, etc? What if tomorrow it was marketed a pill that would keep you young for 30 more years, allowing you to live well into your 100's active and healthy? Anyone going to say no, I don't want to cheat?

How many athletes have used speed? How many were snorting coke in the 80's? Drinking in the 40's? How many football players take the field without the help of a pick me up or pain killer? Remember the sideline show of Jimmy Mac getting the pain killer shot so he could go back into the game? Was that cheating? Or is it only cheating if everyone isn't doing it?

I don't have any answers, I just thought Parque wrote a very honest assessment of the thought processes of someone not willing to give up the limelight, not much different than the aging actress getting one more plastic surgery so she can get that one more role, or models getting liposuction so they can do one more swimsuit issue, or guys dying their grey out of their hair before the job interview, or some cubicle worker taking one more berating because he doesn't want to lose his or hers benefits and retirement.

We all make choices along the way, and none of us has ever travelled thru life without knowing at some points we made the wrong choice some of the times. I don't come down on others who facing the same choice I did made the wrong one when I didn't because I know at other crossroads I've made wrong choices too.

Jack McDowell said:

Both replies about changing "body type" have mentioned the college years. That's when we're still developing and growing. 25-35 something guys who are on the thinner side who all of a sudden get huge filled out arms, chest and legs is NOT a natural progression. And as far as Parque wanting to stay in the limelight, it's the same reason everyone did it. All the things you mentioned did happen. But NONE of them effects overall production and playing ability like steroids do. It's truly a different deal there.

webegeek said:

Jack,

I promise you, if you started going to the gym and doing bench presses, military presses, deadlifts, squats, dips and chins and did the weight exercises with 5 reps max, building up to a max lift at 1 rep, then back up the ladder and went 1 day and then took two days off, you would still bulk up your frame in six months. Not knowing what or how you eat, you could add protein shakes with Muscle Milk protein (nothing illegal or banned) with good organic milk, eggs, and fruit.

I will agree Tiger is using supplements, but I doubt strongly he is roiding

Jack McDowell said:

Believe me I worked out and lifted as hard as I could when I played. I always took protein drinks and for a time even mixed it up with Creatine. Nothing made me bigger. Just stronger. So for me, been there done that! As far as Tiger goes, we'll never know. I just use my observation skills.

Noneck said:

Jack,

I know you knew a lot of players that were on the stuff when you played. How did you that effect how you felt about those players personally? Did knowing affect your personal relationship with them then and now?

Jack McDowell said:

I have said many times that I am only certain of two players who told me directly they did it and that was long after their respective careers were over. I guessed at who was using as everyone did. I use common sense to conclude who did it. So no relationships were compromised!

Ajax said:

Buehrle was a teammate of Jim Parque AND Jose Canseco. Can't trust anything anymore....

Jack McDowell said:

Now you're thinkin'. Don't trust anything! Maybe Buerhle pushed his 75 MPH fastball to 84 with the juice!

vulcan said:

The players' may have had a drug problem...but nothing like their crappers. Like this account, don't think read one account where a player was lucky to stick the juice more than ONCE before the crapper would mug'em and gobble their whole freakin stash.

One thing for certain