Wale's World

« Talk is cheap Ask Wale: Chili, holding calls and »

Forget next year, I want to talk about this year

Adewale Ogunleye

I play defensive end for the Chicago Bears.

ASK WALE
E-mail me here. I will be answering your questions about the Bears and life in the NFL every week on my blog.

So, we lose the game and the only thing reporters want to talk about is the trade for Gaines Adams.

"How does this affect you?" "Do you think you are in the Bears future plans", etc. etc.

Are you serious? We just lost the biggest game to date of our young season and that's what they want to discuss. How about the things that really matter; the loss, the game or the fact that I need to play better.

I made too many mistakes in this game. I am sure if you spoke to the rest of the team they would say the same thing but for the sake of this blog I will focus on myself and myself alone.

As a leader I needed to show up. I needed to find a way to make at least one big play. Sunday night, that didn't happen. So, if anyone is looking for the guy to blame, blame me.

I accept full responsibility and vow to get this corrected. I will watch the film, eat the criticism and move on. I view this loss as a hiccup, very annoying but it won't kill our season.

Beginning of the second quarter of the season and we are down 0-1. We face a hungry Bengals team, with a very good running back, Cedric Benson. I am sure he will have a lot on his mind. There will be no time to feel sorry for ourselves. We must get to 1-1 by the time the Bengals game is over on October 25, 2009.

OK, let me discuss the trade very briefly and I won't talk about it again. I feel that any move made to help this team get to the Super Bowl is a great move. It's about the team and winning.

It seems like this trade will help us move in that direction. Things will always work out. With that said, I will leave the rest to God and management.

Bear Down!!!

More from around the web

thelady said:

Very well stated. Some people feel that there is no "i" in team, but a true team player sees every "i" in responsibility. It takes a lot to admit where you have failed as an individual and pick yourself up and move towards improvement. All you can do is leave the rest to GOD and management will have to follow.

crown their ass said:

Thank you for being a team player and taking accountability Wale. I respect your attitude towards the trade and your willingness to do what ever it takes to win. Tough one last night, but a more favorable part of the schedule coming up. Looking forward to the team learning from their mistakes and rebounding in Cincy.

MikeBrownhadaPosse said:

Wale - as a lifelong Bears fan, that type of response to the loss is why I follow THIS team, win, lose or draw. You're a fan favorite here for a reason: integrity, heart, toughness.
Thanks, Adewale, and BEAR DOWN!

FRESNO,CA BEAR FAN said:

WALE! your fucking great! I hope your with us for more years to come..... next week make sure to punish the bengals offense

IrishSweetness said:

I like it man. Even though not-so deep inside you're thinking "Look at our offensive line ... and we trade for an end ?", must be a right gip in the locker room. But that's Angelo. A dooshette. What a train wreck of a game, but onto next week and we still love ya ....

Peace out

Dayman said:

I didn't expect that kind of sincerity from an actual player. I have massive amounts of respect for you for this post, and am sure that whatever happens will be for the best.

Bear Down is right.

DaCoach's Mustache said:

Wale, please sack Carson Palmer on Sunday.

Doc Nitty 34 said:

Word Wale! Word!!!

JoelGrant said:

Wale has manned up - have Cutler and Forte and everyone else? A loss is a loss, but it is tough to win in the NFL on the road and this was a close call. The goal now is to beat those striped furheads from WKRP-land.