All Q'd Up

« Saturday, March 13: ChicagoNow Radio with My Very First Blackhawks Game »

Red Wings Fans Hate America, One Tentacle At A Time

Alex Quigley

Former rock DJ, currently a multipurpose Chicago media guy.

Perhaps you've read an article by a gentleman named Rob Otto. He writes for MLive.com, which totally should've been named MichiganNow.com. In his post Otto derides the decades-old tradition of cheering through "The Star-Spangled Banner" before Blackhawks games.

Although at first blush, the article seemed to be pageview-bait; write something potentially inflammatory with a "WTF? NO WAI DOOD!" headline and you're suddenly rolling in pennies and nickels from Google. But Otto continued to defend his point deep into his article's comment section, and even ended up on Chicago sports radio shows this week, presumably to a) try and win "Shoup and a Shangwich" or b) reveal that he himself is the one he's crappin'.

dickjones.jpg

Pictured: Rob Otto with PatriotismBOT-209

Deep in that comments thread, Otto admits that he had never been to a Blackhawks game and witnessed the tradition in-person. Until last Friday's Canucks game, we had one thing in common! I wasn't sure how I would react to the cheering...I didn't know if it was just going to be drunken yelling dudes and random clapping girls.

It was far-and-away the most amazing national anthem performance I've ever heard in-person. (Okay, perhaps the first game back at Wrigley after 9/11 was more moving. All the American flags draped down the sides of the neighboring buildings...that was intense.)

There I stood, along with 22,000+ hockey fans all roaring at the top of their lungs. The crowd cheered louder with every passing verse. I didn't think the whole place could sustain the crescendo much past "and the rockets' red glare", but the decibels kept piling up. I had goosebumps the entire time. I just got goosebumps now remembering it.

But there was one other time during the night that the crowd got that loud again. It wasn't during one of the six Hawks goals, and it wasn't when Roberto Luongo smashed his stick on the boards after being pulled.

It was during the second period when the PA announced the name of a returning serviceman and showed he and his family on the big screens. Mind you, this hockey game was over by that point...and at 5-1 on a Friday night, it seemed like the crowd started enjoying the concessions at a rapid rate. But it didn't matter; every person in the UC stood up and cheered, hollered and hooted for this serviceman. It lasted a solid thirty seconds, and ended with a spontaneous "U-S-A! U-S-A!" chant.

I'm told by my more-experienced hockey fan friends that happens all the time. That's respect, whether or not it's your kind of respect, Mr. Detroit.

What do Red Wings fans do after the national anthem is sung? Well, if it's the playoffs:

red-wings-octopus.jpg

America?

And seriously, anyone outside of Wayne County has thought the following when watching the Red Wings play:

redteam.jpg
ussrhockey.jpg

"Do you believe in 30-year-old flimsy pop-culture references? YES!!!!!"

And finally, what does Mr. Rob Otto name his sportsblog? The following is NOT a photoshop of mine, but his actual logo for his blog:

ottoman.jpg

Who hates America now, Rob Otto? IF THAT'S EVEN YOUR REAL NAME!?!?!?!

I now await my Google pennies and nickels.

Drew from NOHS said:

So your response to a "pageview-bait"-ing post is this? With that title? You should have asked your more-experienced hockey fan friends if they had an idea of what the octopi at the Joe (that's the rink that the Red Wings play at) was all about. It's called tradition. And it goes way back before any drunken idiots stood and cheered during the anthem at the old Blackhawks rink all those years ago. Do some research, it's not hard.

Alex Quigley said:

So the crux of your argument is that your tradition is more valid than Chicago's tradition because it's been around longer?

Also, there is no way in hell that everyone involved in the plotting and execution of smuggling a fricking octupus into a hockey game was 100% sober.

Alex Quigley said:

or an "octopus", even

Drew from NOHS said:

Oh Al, I never said I had any problem with what Chicago fans do in their own barn...just don't think it will be tolerated at JLA while Karen Newman is singing (some Hawk fans think that's ok). Frankly, I couldn't care less about what Chicago fans do.

The tossing of the octopus has absolutely nothing to do with the national anthem and everything to do with the 8 games you had to win in order to claim Lord Stanley's Cup back in the day. It's one of the NHL's long standing traditions (like throwing hats onto the ice when a player scores 3 goals in one game).

My point was that writing a "WTF? NO WAI DOOD!" article in response to a "WTF? NO WAI DOOD!" article was pretty pointless. I know it was your attempt at humor to one-up Rob Otto and straight up say that Detroit fans hate America. And if you plan on entertaining your Hawk-related fan base by pulling on the "Detroit Sucks" strings, then fine. It's your right to do so, just as it is my right to respond to it.

Alex Quigley said:

But then you wrote a "WTF? NO WAI DOOD!" article on your site.

It's the Circle of Life.

Andy from Fight Night said:

I have rarely read a more misguided attack on anything. As Drew pointed out before me, the Octopus is a tradition (check it out on their website or Wikipedia to understand), something the Hawks probably doesn't have enough history of success to have.

And while we are on the subject of classy fans, you might not know this as you admits that you haven't attended more than one game with the team you seem to be writing about, but writing something like this from Chicago is kinda like throwing a rock in a glass house. Nowhere in the world will you find a crowd classier than the one that instead of chanting "Let's go Hawks" decides to try to put big bro Detroit down by chanting "Detroit sucks". Classy. Not to mention that they have the hockey knowledge to boo a clearly rightly called offside. This is sour grapes, from a bandwagon writer in a city full of bandwagoners.

Alex Quigley said:

I appreciate the fire and the passion that led you to create an account here on ChicagoNow.com for this comment.

And I don't mind being called a hockey bandwagoner; I've actually written a couple of articles outing myself as such. It's the truth. I haven't followed hockey for most of my life.

But the word "sucks" offends your sensibilities? I don't have to be a lifetime hockey nut to say "boo hoo". That's not the point of contention being debated...it's the cheering during the national anthem. I think spectators of all pro sports should...nay, must be allowed to yell the word "suck" in all its forms and conjugations.

Andy from Fight Night said:

It's not that the word sucks offend me, I'm just kinda baffled at a crowd feeling it is more important to shout that the other team sucks, than rooting for the other team. Those antics kinda belong in association football/soccer.

I don't think Detroit fans specificly are that bothered by the anthem, the problem we have is when the octopus gets dragged into this.

J. Brown said:

Judging by these first two posts, the flame bait seems to have worked.

Regardless, Detroit sucks.

Andy from Fight Night said:

yup.. hey, we don't mind giving the guy some hits. If that wanks up his ego, then so be it.

And yeah, the classy fans show up here. Was only a matter of time

Dmband said:

AQ-

Hilarious....and spot on. I dont know how this became a story, but its just flat out idiotic, why am I not surprised it came out of Detroit. I really wish the folks from up north would just stop being so obsessed with everything Chicago..its bad enough they all move here...

Cheering is disrespectful? I would actually say that anyone who DOESNT cheer is being MORE disrepectful.

Furthermore, I have long held the belief that the Red Wings are, in fact, the USSR National team.

Lastly, and I think this is important, the National Anthem was written FOR THE PEOPLE of the United States. Its the PEOPLE's song...WE, the PEOPLE, have the freedom and LIBERTY to celebrate it....Whats really disrespectful is the pathetic versions of the anthem that sound more like a pop song than our country's anthem.

Dmband said:

Andy-

"City full of bandwagoners"...

Really? Is that why all of our teams sell out even when they suck? I would argue its our loyalty as a city that has actually hurt us with sports teams.

Go Lions and how's that Chauncy Billups for Allen Iverson trade working out?

Andy from Fight Night said:

Well, if I'm not mistaken United Center used to be kinda empty until the team got better a couple of years ago.

Nice going picking on the Lions and Pistons. I'm Norwegian and couldn't really care less about Basketball or Football

Alex Quigley said:

Total non-snark curiousity here: how does Norwegian ancestry correlate to basketball- or football-fandom?

Andy from Fight Night said:

I not only have Norwegian ancestry, but also a Norwegian passport, was born and raised there and currently reside there. And we don't really care about basketball or American throwball here. Hockey is a little bigger and a few of us are lucky enough to be hardcore fans.

And to answer the question that surely is upcoming: I am a Wings fan because Scotty Bowman and his then assistant Barry Smith visited a summer hockey camp I was at and coached us for two half days back when I was eight.

Chasse Rehwinkel said:

Seriously, and their Stanley Cup in '97, tainted. Come on, they only won because of the "Russian Five!" Obviously a communist conspiracy! And former captain Dennis Hextall, clearly a witch. Nobody plays for both the North Stars and Red Wings and isn't a practitioner of the dark arts.

Alex Quigley said:

This seems like a reasonable and scientifically-provable statement. I enjoy your views and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Chasse Rehwinkel said:

We don't meet on Wednesday and not next to the John Hancock Building....

....Fight the Power!

Chasse Rehwinkel said:

A true American would be reading Thomas Paine while drinking whiskey and eating the highest caloric food imaginable--A Geno's East deep dish pizza. Not throwing octopuses onto ice and burning Joyce Carol Oates!

Plus according to Wikipedia, Detroit is the only major American city that faces Canada to the South as well. Coincidence?!

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

To AQ and Dmband: You two are obviously made for each other in that you are completely ignorant of the Red Wings roster yet make bomastic statements about the team being loaded with Russians. I'll save you the time of actually being a journalist and break it down for you. Follow along closely and you'll relaize what total dumbf*cks you are. Taking the 23 man roster (including the LTIR'ed Maltby) there are 10 Canadians, 7 Swedes, 4 Americans and 1 Finn and 1 Russian.

Next time do us a favor and either do some RESEARCH before bloviating or just STFU. The second option would actually be the best.

Alex Quigley said:

I'm surprised you missed that joke, because instead of talking about the Russian makeup of the current Red Wings squad, I was literally talking about the solid red uniforms. It's a joke/reference that fans of every single NHL team (other than the Red Wings) have made.

Red. That's it. That's all. Simple. Right on your level.

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

I regularly particpate on many hockey boards and can say that no one in the past 5 years has made that joke/reference in any coversation about the Wings. Your use of obscure references that you think funny doesn't translate well here. Would you get it if I made a reference to the McCanuck sweaters from Vancouver back in the 80's? Probably not. You are too condescending and arrogant for a jerk off who writes for this rag of a website.

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

Oh and if you play "typo police" like I know you will....then you just have nothing else to talk about.

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

Dmband said: "Really? Is that why all of our teams sell out even when they suck?"

REALLY? Throwing out 2008 to now when the bandwagon started up....Hawks surely didn't sell out with these numbers:

2007 29th in NHL Avg 12,727
2006 29th in NHL Avg 13,318
2004 27th in NHL Avg 13,255
2003 24th in NHL Avg 14,794
2002 23rd in NHL Avg 15,568
2001 24th in NHL Avg 14,496

I guess you're just a dumb*ss who writes replies that have nothing to do with reality. Bandwagon "fans" are soooooo stupid.

Alex Quigley said:

If you truly were such a great hockey fan, then you'd know that the Blackhawks' then-ownership was rated the worst in all four major North American sports.

Not just worst in hockey, but basketball, baseball, and football. There was a lot of ill will done towards Chicago hockey fans in those years.

And I noticed you conveniently stopped your attendance numbers at 2001...when you could've gone back to 1994-1997 when the Hawks were even-with or out-drawing the Wings.

Hell, part of the reason why I was never into hockey growing up was that so many games weren't televised. The ownership believed in "sell-out or black-out". There's an entire lost generation of potential hockey fans in the Chicago area because of the decisions made by the Hawks ownership. And it is somewhat coincidental that as soon as a new owner took over in October 2007, the Blackhawks started getting really good. But even if they weren't now the best team in the West, they'd still be selling out the UC every night nowadays due to the massive efforts by the new management to reconnect with Chicago sports fans.

But you probably already knew that, 'cause you know everything about hockey, right?

Andy from Fight Night said:

I'd guess that a couple of years of tanking and some good draft picks helped too :D

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

Ummm, yeah. Look at what it did for Pittsburgh.

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

There was nothing convenient about it. A recent decade is a pretty good slice of representative samples. The stats for 2001-02 to 2010-11 represent a decade and frankly, I don't give a sh*t what the Hawks were drawing in 1994. Plain and simple, like you like it, bub. I also don't give a sh*t that the Hawks had crappy management becasue that's not what the dillhole said in his post. He said ALL our teams SELL OUT all the time whcih is patently false. What I've forgotten about hockey exceeds what you'll ever know so can the superiority complex -- you're a nobody. Enjoy your increased hit counts - that's all this was about anyway.

Dmband said:

Wings fan from KC-

The fact that you missed the joke in regards to the Russian team (first off, I said USSR and I doubt your smart enough to understand the difference) makes this response almost not worth writing.

Secondly, we were referred to as a city full of bandwagoners...no reference to specific sports. AQ did a great job explaining to you why the attendence suffered during the times that you conveinently selected, so I wont go there. I trust it will take you upwards of 45 minutes to comprehend what he wrote.

Andy you're comment regarding why you are a wings fan in relation to Scotty Bowman means you should now be a Hawks fan...ouch..

Lastly, you're right, we shouldnt chant Detroit sucks, because everyone already knows that. Is that supposed to be an insult that we utilized our draft picks and they worked out? Good one...

"nice job drafting good players!!!" Burn!

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:

Russia was the largest country and the controlling influence in what was the USSR. The two are synonymous.

Potato - Potahtoh.

Once again, there was nothing "convenient" about the attendance figures I posted....it was a f*cking DECADE of data......less 2005 (no season) and 2007 to now. YOU said that ALL the teams sell out all the time and you lied. It's not my fault you made an unsupportable claim but then it will probably take you 45 minutes to figure out why it is unsupportable.

Are you alos 6 foot 5 and 290 pounds? That's usually what your type ends up posting next with some lame "internet threat" about kicking my *ss. I'm SOOOOOOOOOO scared.

Andy from Fight Night said:

Well, yeah, maybe I should, but I don't change allegiances like that.

About the chant: yeah, 4 cups since 97 prove that Detroit sucks.. hmmm.. 1961 anyone?

Not throwing the draft picks out as a burn, but rather as an explanation of why the Hawks suddently got attractive again. And yeah, using top 3 picks to get good players, impressive. Call me when you find a Lidstrom at 53rd, a Datsyuk at 171st or a Zetterberg at 210th.

HockeyisDetroit said:

Mr. Alex Q...

Are you an idiot? Please tell me you are so I don't have to make you look like a bigger fool. Please do me a favor and respond with "Yes, I am an idiot, or No I am not an idiot." One of those choices will either force me to blast you and your beloved Hawks, or I'll simply keep my mouth shut (something you should be doing) based on your response.

I hope you respond with your brain this time vs trying to respond with you @$$hole.

HockeyisDetroit said:

1)"Otto admits that he had never been to a Blackhawks game and witnessed the tradition in-person" WHY WOULD HE go to a Blackhawks game AQ?? He lives in Detroit, not Chicago. He is a beat writer. He can voice his opinion on what he hears, not sees, esp if hes not compensated for his work if he traveled to Chicago..So to rip apart a writer, just bc he hasnt been to a game, shows your inexperience at decent comebacks.

2)In your response to the Hawks fans cheering b/c of a military person being recognized...have you ever been to a Red Wing game? Obviously you have NOT, bc they give credit to the Military personal at the game as well, not once, BUT twice. (during the 1st and 3rd) So before you start your article ripping someone who hasn't attended
a hawks game, do your research before hand...Not that you have to come see a game..how about researching what the Red Wings do to honor the Military Personal at the game...its an easy phone call, jack@$$

3)"Our founding fathers would be so proud of this eight-legged show of patriotism. I bet they were all ticked off at John Hancock for signing his name so big that they couldn't fit their "Octopus = Freedom" clause into the Declaration of Independence."
Its a tradition. Your point for throwing an Octopus on the ice AFTER the national anthem is sung??? That's right...you don't have one b/c its NOT disrespectful. Whats disrespectful was what I had to witness from the hawk slap-pies last Sunday WHILE ATTENDING THE GAME. What did I hear after the anthem?? "DETROIT SUCKS." Really? we suck? Thats why we are 2-1 against you w a HEALTHY lineup..sorry hawk slap-pies but your post season is over if you face the "dead wings" lol...

4)"And seriously, anyone outside of Wayne County has thought the following when watching the Red Wings play"- Thanks for comparing us to the Russian Red Army(CCCP), that's a HUGE compliment, considering the Russian red army (CCCP) ran the world in Hockey back in the day. So thanks guy, appreciate that.

AQ..thanks for proving your an idiot..didnt need your response

HawksFanVinny said:

Why is it that all these people from Detroit love to rip on Chicago fans for being band wagon jumpers for following the hawks now that they are good. We have always had them in our hearts. It is difficult to support a team that was so poorly run. It is much like a team that wears the Honolulu blue that I won't name. Kind of the like the pot... Nevermind. Atleast Chicago can sellout games, last I checked the Joe hasn't always had a sellout, even playoff games. Maybe it is because there are so many of thier fans living in Chicago.

Mike1984 said:

Well being a Hawks fan the fact of the matter is there are alot of bandwagon jumpers in this city, always have been always will be, like this writer for instance who even admitted it. I love the enthusiasm and excitement for our Hawks in this city now, but it is a tad annoying when you see people who obviously haven't followed hockey for a second of their lives pretending to be diehard fans and then not even understanding what offsides means. At least do some homework before you talk Wrigley Yuppies!

The United Center was packed to the rafters before the true bandwagon jumping started. The wagon really took off around Christmas of 08 right before the Winter Classic. We have been packing the place again since late in the 07 season and all of 08 because Dollar Bill finally bit the dust and the true Hawks fans came back (people forget how terribly he treated the fans for decades).

As soon as the Winter Classic was played last year, I instantly saw friends who were the typical Wrigley Faithful suddenly became "Die Hard Blackhawks Fans" It's simply what the Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville crowd does in this town, they latch on to whatever is popular and cool at the moment and due to some great marketing and a great product on the ice along with all of our other major sports teams playing terribly, the Hawks became the cool thing to cheer for in Chicago.

HockeyisDetroit said:

I am sorry but you cant even compare Chicago and Detroit in terms of who shows up to games or not...Its quite simple and there are many reasons why the Joe doesn't fill up every game. One major reason is the decline of population. Yes, a lot of younger detroiters are moving to Chicago..Who wouldn't want to? It's a cool ass city w a bunch of shit to do. In Detroit, it can be repetitive if you dont explore. another reason the joe isnt sold out every game is because what for the past 21-22 years the red wings have been a dominant dominant force in the league. W that said during the first 12-15 years of those years, the red wings sold out every game and exhibition game. The interest wasnt there to spend $150 + / game to literally watch the wings win 90% of their home games. They did, and as a season ticket holder, trust me, if the hawks have a 15+ year run where they dominate and etc..the interest will always be there given how big chicago is, but you will see a decline in attendence for some games. Its just how it goes, esp. if the economy is terrible on top of living in a city that is great but awful at the same time...

I hope that clears it up for you..its not that we cant sell out games at the joe..LOL not hard at all...actually the last 10 games have been sellouts and they will continue...

Good luck the rest of the year, and you better hope the hawks dont go into the post season playing .500 hockey their last 20 games ...HAAHA

HawksFanVinny said:

Look I get all that. This city is one of the greatest in the country, if not the world. What I am attempting to point out is that if a team is good this city embraces the teams success. We don't have to make excuses for why we don't support our teams, or knock the traditions of other cities. If a team is bad, we still love them, but we want owners to fix what is broke and why would they if fans keep buying tickets. As far as the exodus of Detroit, being the cause of the lack of sellouts, people have been leaving Detroit, many years before now. You guys went to final last year. That would be like the UC not selling out games in 98 for jordan's last year. All I'm saying is please do not critcize the fans of this city without looking at your own fans. These are the best fans, and they are coming back to hockey.

Jimmy Greenfield said:

The Red Wings have had a great run for the last 20+ years. The preceding 20 years they were pathetic, couldn't even make the playoffs in most years when the NHL let everyone in and their attendance was abysmal. As it should be.

The situations were identical. Chances are the Red Wings won't return to being one of the worst franchises in hockey but you never know.

Personally, I hope the Hawks face Detroit in the playoffs. That is, if the Red Wings get in.

Dmband said:

WingsFan-

I didnt know 6 years constituted a decade...perhaps we can discuss what "decade" means at a later date.

My type? I dont even know what that means...dont get so upset..save some of your disappointment for the rest of your life.

Dmband said:

Also, if we are talking about bandwagon jumpers, I would argue that Detroit is the defintion of bandwagon jumpers. As soon as things get bad in your city, you all leave...hahahahaha.

Alex Quigley said:

Best part about all the Detroit fans commenting: not a single one disagreed with the main point of the entire post.

Our tradition of cheering during the national anthem is above reproach, even from the most rabid Hawks-haters.

HockeyisDetroit said:

AQ--You still haven't answered my questions..I believed I disagreed w your lame comments about Otto's perfect description of Hawks slappies during the Anthem. I want to know why you compared the Red Wings to the CCCP?? LOL- thanks for the MASSIVE compliment. And I want to know why there is really only ONE TRUE HAWKS FAN IN HERE-----HAWKFANVINNY-- at least he is not buried in the misconception of Chicago being a bandwagon city for sports. SO thanks --Hawkfanvinny--, your word vs. anybody else's is the one that matters- b/c its the TRUTH.

If Chicago claims they aren't bandwagon fans AQ- then where were these yelling, screaming, obnoxious fans prior to the 07 season???????????? HUHHHH?? where were they? O thats right- Hawkfanvinny summed that one up for you already..

AQ. Understand that you'll never be able to outsmart, or use your position to overpower fans, esp Red Wing fans, ESP when you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about Hockey. Try going to a few more games before you go ripping one of the most storied traditions in hockey- the throwing of octopus- OWNED by THE Detroit Red Wings..

So to sum up MY post- since I know your reading them..

Answer me these questions. All questions being asked based on YOUR article and what YOU had to say in this landfill of a so called "article." And if you can't, but yet still post some obnoxious sentence, such as: "Our tradition of cheering during the national anthem is above reproach, even from the most rabid Hawks-haters," Ill be sure that our beat writers here in Detroit have some fun w your comments about the Red Wings..you can bet your ass on that one.

I am now gonna wait for this educated response to these Q's....

Its a tradition AQ. Your point for throwing an Octopus on the ice AFTER the national anthem is sung???????????????????????? Cheering obnoxiously before the anthem is even over is very disrespectful, not a tradition, and is NOT practiced by any other NHL team..

Tick

Tock

Alex Quigley said:

Fine, even the comments written in crayon get a response:

1) "WHY WOULD HE go to a Blackhawks game AQ?"

Because he's been covering the Red Wings for many years? Every Hawks writer has been to the Joe. The two teams play all the damn time. Very surprised that someone who has been paid to write/talk about Detroit sports for that long hasn't made a trip to watch a relatively-close road game against an Original Six rival.

2) No, haven't been to one. Don't need to. That involves going to Detroit.

3) Cheering obnoxiously before the anthem is even over is very disrespectful, not a tradition, and is NOT practiced by any other NHL team.

That's your personal opinion. It's not ours.

I just can't figure out why you decided to log in under different names.

JimBagel said:

So you're saying that Otto should go to Hawks games because the two teams play against each other all the time, yet you say that won't go to a Detroit game because it's in Detroit. With that I don't even need to read any more of your tripe.

You are nothing but a lowly DJ that wanted to be a journalist ever since he was rejected from the high school newspaper.

HockeyisDetroit said:

AQ..

An idiot once again. My name on here is HockeyisDetroit. I can't speak for anyone else.

Anyway, good last effort to save yourself. Ill quote you "I just can't figure out why you decided to log in under different names."

Really?? I am?? OK prove it? and I know you can bc of IP address. IP address for work and home are diff. so you'll see two diff ip address for me, but identical to the name HOCKEYISDETROIT.

Anyway..I look forward to reading your intelligent articles. Until now, HOCKEY IS DETROIT 1 AQ 0

ADIOS

HockeyisDetroit said:

O- and FYI. We had some fun w this article today on the air- it was HILARIOUS

Dmband said:

Just to clear all this up. If you dont like OUR tradition, which by most counts has been taking place since the early nineties, dont come...please...please dont come to the games or our city. We have no use for you and your inablity to build quality automobiles.

Too soon?

Dmband said:

Ps.

Perhaps if you guys put half as much time and effort into rebuilding your city as you do into perfecting your hockey acumen, you wouldnt be in this situation.

Thanks.

HockeyisDetroit said:

DMBAND:

are you in the DMB fan club as Dmband? I am a mod. on the fan website. and you will be revoked as of 2:30 pm, Tuesday March 23, 2010.

Taking shots at cities isnt classy and will not be tolerated. You are a joke of a person and not classy at all.

Maybe if the Hawks owner would have instilled more interest into hawk fans, we wouldnt have to listen to dumb ass hawk fans actually speak their mind when they want to say something intell. about hockey..

as for your account w dmb--its gone!

as for your knowledge about detroit and are hockey team- you have none!

become more educated about hockey and detroit b4 you post about the city, bitch!

JimBagel said:

The only reason you have to yelling over the anthem is that it's a "decades-old tradition". Wow. 2 and a half decades can excuse people for yelling over the National Anthem.

So, seeing as the octopi have been hitting the ice in Detroit for almost 60 years, your "argument" is null and void since your only criteria for excusing disrespect to the National Anthem is the length of the tradition.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Dmband said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HockeyisDetroit. You are hilarious. I am not in the fan club as Dmband...nice try and being a hardass.

Get back to rebuilding your city and stop wasting your time.

Thanks for revoking my non exsistant membership. You are the textbook definition of a tool.

I hope you feel good about taking someone's fan membership away that was not me.

HA! thanks for playing.

Dmband said:

And I am knowledgable about the city.

It sucks.

Thanks.

HockeyisDetroit said:

the sort of FAIL you'd expect from teams with fans that only started caring about their teams once they got good again.

please read the article--man Chicago realllly jinxed the shit out yourselves on this one..LOL