With the NHL Playoffs upon us, now is as good time as ever to start paying attention to hockey. But, where do you even begin?
To save you hours of sifting through articles on Google Search in an attempt to catch up, here’s a quick and dirty NHL Playoffs Cheat Sheet with everything you need to know about the 2013 chase for the Stanley Cup:
Bookmark it, share it, save it, print it, or just use it as a coaster during the games. You’re welcome.
TEAMS IN THE NHL 2013 PLAYOFFS:
8 in the East:
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Montreal Canadiens
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Toronto Maple Leafs (yes, they made it for the first time in 8 years!)
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- New York Islanders
8 in the West:
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Anaheim Ducks
- Vancouver Canucks
- St. Louis Blues
- Los Angeles Kings
- San Jose Sharks
- Detroit Red Wings
- Minnesota Wild
How do the NHL Playoffs work?
East will play east; West will play West in 3 rounds of best of 7 games.
Final round: Winner of East plays Winner of West in the Stanley Cup Final.
The schedule: Who’s playing who?
- Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders
- Montreal Canadiens vs. Ottawa Senators
- Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers
- Boston Bruins vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
- Chicago Blackhawks vs. Minnesota Wild
- Anaheim Ducks vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues vs. Los Angeles Kings
Other stuff that’s good to know…
- Teams play for The Stanley Cup, also known as Lord Stanley’s Cup
- The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup last year
- The New York Rangers are predicted to win the Stanley Cup this year*
- The Chicago Blackhawks won the President’s Trophy this season. That means they’re the team that finished with the most points (i.e. best record) in the league**
- 1.2 million viewers+ are expected to watch the first round of playoffs
- The average cost of a Playoffs ticket in the NHL Playoffs for 2013 is $106.25 (varies by team)
- The Toronto Maple Leafs tickets boast the highest price-tag with their most expensive seats selling at $796.75 a pop
*if you're bandwagon-jumping, this is the team to pretend to like. According to EA Sports projected simulation, they will beat the Chicago Blackhawks in the Final in 6 games.
** Obligatory proposal that you cheer for the Chicago Blackhawks.