Everything bagels are my absolute favorite. It's my go-to for lox, with schmear and an egg sandwich. When I read Gina's easy bagel recipe I wanted to make them immediately.
I know making bread can be intimidating, but this recipe is basic and nearly foolproof. You just need to follow the directions carefully. Greek yogurt is a necessity, so don't try using other yogurts, because it won't bake properly. Make sure to knead the dough enough. And keep on eye on the bagels when you are baking them. It might take longer than expected, so stay close to the oven.
Trader Joe's sells everything bagel seasoning, which is perfect for these bagels, but you can season them with whatever you like.
I'm obsessed with these bagels and hope you will be too!
Prep: 5 minutes | Total: 45 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- (optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. (or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly)
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle both sides with seasoning of your choice. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 30 - 45 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they are cooked all the way through. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
***Recipe by SkinnyTaste
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.