In college I used to make tacos all the time. It was the perfect go-to recipe because it was cheap, quick, and delicious. It's funny to think about since I am very active in the kitchen, but in college, tacos were pretty much one of the only meals I made!
I have adjusted my 'college recipe' to be more like this one to keep it low-carb and healthier. This is a fantastic recipe and seriously the easiest meal to make. It's one of those recipes you keep in the rotation for those nights when you don't have a lot of time and want something quick and easy!
I make these as lettuce wraps, but if you aren't trying to forgo carbs then use taco shells! I like to add tomatoes, cheese, lite sour cream and to make it spicy I add jalapenos and spicy salsa too. But feel free to make it so it meets your taste buds.
Preparation: 10 | Total: 30 | Serves: 4
- 1.3 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 bell pepper, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 large lettuce leaves from butter lettuce
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well.
- Add the onion, pepper, jalapeno, water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Wash and dry the lettuce.
- Divide the meat equally between the leaves and place in the center of each leaf and top with your favorite taco fixings!
***Recipe inspired by SkinnyTaste
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.