Fresh cheese, melted between two slices of bread alongside a pipping hot bowl of tomato goodness is like a dream. It is such a simple yet satisfying combination and it is SO easy to make. I made a version of grilled cheese, with bacon, and tomato soup this week, and it was delicious. If you are looking for something simple and cozy to make this weekend, or for the upcoming winter season that is upon us, grilled cheese and tomato soup is an excellent choice.
For the sake of time and because it was a Monday, I bought diced tomatoes by the can. I think it would be extra special with fresh tomatoes, so if you have the time, by all means. I also added a touch of cream at the very end, which I think gives it the perfect oomph. I topped the soup with basil and grated Parmesan cheese, which ended up being the perfect additions. My grilled cheese was quite simple, with a few slices of bacon mixed in the melted cheese. I will share a recipe of grilled cheese later on this month when I get more creative :)
Enjoy this recipe, it's a keeper!
Prep 20 | Total 1 hour | Serves 4
- 1 medium white or yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tbls unsalted butter
- Two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- One 12-ounce can tomato paste or sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- To begin, dice the onion and the garlic. Melt the butter in a large pot and toss in the onion. After about 2 minutes add the garlic. Cook on medium for about 5 minutes.
- Now dump in the diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the tomato juice.
- Next, pour the ingredients in a blender, and blend for a minute or two. This will create a nice consistency.
- Pour the tomato mixture back into the original pot and start to boil.
- Now you can add lots of freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Stir to combine, then heat almost to a boil.
- Stir in the cream. Add the basil and stir.
- Serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese and preferably with a grilled cheese.
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.