I was so very sad to read this morning that Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, died at the age of 89.
My eighth grader just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird in her language arts class and is watching the film today. We've been talking about the Pulitzer Prize winning book a lot in our home. It has really resonated with my daughter, as it has with millions of others who have read it since it was first published in 1960. Readers of The Library Journal named it the best novel of the 20th century in 1999.
I'm very grateful for her work that makes readers think about justice, fairness, equality, kindness, human nature, and more.
My words can't pay her adequate tribute, but I can share her powerful words. Here are my favorite quotes from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee:
* "Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."
* "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
* "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."
* "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
* "You just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anybody says to you, don't you let 'em get your goat. Try fightin' with your head for a change."
* "I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
* "Things are always better in the morning."
* "Atticus, he was real nice." "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”
Please like Between Us Parents on Facebook.
If you would like to get emails of Between Us Parents posts, please type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized