On Wednesday I wrote about what we, as Catholics, can do now after the Fortnight for Freedom.
Being informed about the issues is probably the most important thing about the upcoming election. I found this quiz on USCCB's web site:
Twenty Questions for Faithful Citizens
1) How many unborn children have lost their lives to abortion since Roe v. Wade legalized abortion in 1973?
A) 9 million
B) 27 million
C) 53 million
D) 89 million
2) How many successful treatments for "incurable" diseases have been developed using stem cells harvested from human embryos that were destroyed to obtain them?
3) How many successful treatments for "incurable" diseases have been developed using stem cells from adult tissue sources, causing no harm to the stem cell donor?
4) How many U.S. children live in a household that is "food insecure," which means it can't provide enough food for its members at some point during the year?
A) 2.2 million
B) 8.2 million
C) 12.2 million
D) 16.2 million
5) The official poverty rate in America is:
A) 9.8 %
B) 11.5 %
C) 15.1 %
6) How long has the average jobless worker been unemployed?
A) 6 months
B) 9 months
C) 10 months
D) 12 months
7) According to a 2009 survey by The Polling Company, Inc., what percentage of American adults believed it is important to make sure that health care professionals in America are not forced to participate in procedures and practices to which they have moral objections?
8) How many patients who are hospitalized in the United States each year are cared for in a Catholic hospital?
A) 1 in 9
B) 1 in 6
C) 1 in 5
D) 1 in 3
9) According to a study released in the September 2011 issue ofObstetrics & Gynecology, what percentage of practicing ob/gyns performs abortions?
10) Children raised in intact married families are less likely to:
A) Be physically and sexually abused
B) Use drugs or alcohol
C) Become pregnant/impregnate someone as a teenager
D) All of the above
11) According to a study by the University of Chicago. . . which factor best predicts that a boy will exhibit good behavior in 5thgrade and avoid being suspended in 8th grade?
A)Attending a high-quality elementary school
B)Being raised in an intact home with both his father and mother
C)Receiving instruction from a caring and competent teacher
D)Attending a high-quality preschool
12) Children in single-parent families comprise ______ of all American children, yet they account for ______ of all poor children.
A) 27%, 62%
B) 31%, 49%
C) 39%, 71%
D) 42%, 50%
13) Unauthorized migrants take advantage of our welfare system to their own advantage and at the taxpayer's expense.
14) Undocumented immigrants pay taxes.
15) Studies show that unauthorized immigrants provide a net gain of how much to the Social Security system each year?
A) $8 million
B) $100 million
C) $650 million
D) $7 billion
16) Torture is intrinsically evil.
17) What percent of victims maimed or killed by landmines and cluster munitions are civilians?
18)Life-saving poverty-focused international assistance that fights hunger, disease and poverty makes up what percent of the U.S. federal budget?
A) 1 %
B) 4 %
C) 11 %
19) Which of the following are effects of climate change:
A) Increased temperatures
B) Rising sea levels
C) Changes in rainfall that contribute to more frequent and severe floods and droughts
D) All of the above
20) People with disabilities have a much more difficult time finding the resources they need to live in dignity.
You can find the answers here.