Around this time 20 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. I do not know the proper celebration, cake is out of the question as is a piñata filled with candy. So I decided to come up with fun party ideas for diabetics.
- “Pin the syringe on the belly.” The belly is the easiest and most convenient place to inject.
- “A piñata filled with lettuce.” No carbs in lettuce so we have a lettuce party
- “Bobbing for apples.” Okay not much different but we need a healthy serving of fruit
- A visit from “Aspar Tammy” the diabetic clown. A play on aspartame if it was not clear.
- “Lancet darts” with a hand shaped target.
- “Eye Spy” an optometrist comes over and gives all diabetics a free eye exam
- Instead of cake, we all get to smell a vanilla candle.
- “Diabetic Karaoke” see my mix tape article for song suggestions.
- “Saccharine Races” okay I do not have any idea what this is besides clever word play.
- “Diet cola keg stands”
Yes, I am being facetious, but I am trying to find a sense of humor with this disease. Diabetes has a way of cutting people down, I have had my fair share of knock downs. The one thing that makes it worth it is pulling yourself back up and dusting yourself off. I know I have lived the life of a bad diabetic but for the last couple of months I have been better.
I have made my mistakes in the past. I am not living to make up for the last 20 years but for the next 20 and beyond. I love how far I have come with this journey, I am no longer blind to how serious this disease is. I am moving forward and I have never been more excited about my health.