He's at it again...

It is now Sunday morning and I am finally able to sit down and write this post. It’s not that we’ve been so busy with activities that I haven’t had time. It’s just that, for the past couple of weeks, I’ve been walking around like a zombie, just getting through the day. Before last night I had gotten just about six hours of sleep for the past three days.

 Yep, Liam is at it again.

 On the day Liam turned 15 months old, he got a bunch of shots at the doctor’s office. The nurse warned me that he would probably have a fever and be very uncomfortable for the next couple of days. So that night, when his temperature went up and he got very cranky, I didn’t worry. I gave him some baby Advil and put him to bed as usual. Of course, not feeling very well, he wore up crying in the middle of the night, and of course, knowing he was sick, I didn’t have the heart to just let him cry it out, so I went to pick him up and sleep on the couch with him.

 The next day he still had a fever. I still wasn’t worried, thinking it was just the shots going through his system. That night went pretty much the same as the first. On the third day, Liam’s temperature was finally back to normal, so we returned to our usual activities. We went to swimming lessons – where he did great – and then came back home for naptime and to get Dylan ready for afternoon Kindergarten.

Liam napped for almost three hours that day, which is highly unusual for him. In fact, I checked on him several times to make sure he was still breathing! When he finally woke up, he wouldn’t eat or drink anything but milk. As the hours went by, I noticed he was starting to get a rash all over his little body, especially his mouth. Oh no, I thought. He is one of those rare cases of kids who get the chickenpox vaccine and then actually get the virus.  

Upon closer inspection, though, I noticed the rash did seem to be concentrated on certain areas of his body, so I quickly suspected he had hand, foot, and mouth (it’s a virus). Off we went to the pediatrician’s office, who confirmed the diagnosis.

The poor little guy was sick for about a week, and every night he woke up crying and ended up with me on the couch. Sometimes he would go right back to sleep, but more often than not we’d be awake for an hour or two watching TV before he finally dozed off again. He is back to his normal, healthy self now, thank goodness, but the sleeping pattern has not changed. He is still waking up, and the interrupted sleep is really starting to affect me.

Now that he is healthy again, we have tried to let him cry it out the past three days. The first night, he woke up at 1 am and cried for almost two hours before finally passing out. I was awake for the rest of the night. Just could not get back to sleep. The second night, he woke up at 2:30 am and cried for one hour. After making sure he was asleep, I tossed and turned in bed trying to get back to sleep, only to have him wake up crying again less than an hour later.

I couldn’t take it anymore. Off we went to the couch, where we both got a blissful extra hour or two of sleep before Dylan woke up for the day.

Last night, Bill got up to get him pretty much the moment he started crying. They are still on the couch, sleeping away. I don’t know why I am up so early when I should be catching up on some much needed sleep. My body is getting used to the deprivation, I guess. I just hope he goes back to sleeping through th night soon. Yawn!





Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment