NEWSFLASH! BOYS ARE DIFFERENT FROM GIRLS!!
I've read a few stories about adults who have a problem with that statement (??!!) but most of us assume this to be true and I’m not here to dispute it. True, I’m a BoyMom and I don't know a thing about raising Girls. But honey, let me tell you: Testosterone is real.
Granted, raising children period is more than a notion. Still, I can only pray (and sit with a lil’ envy) that GirlMoms don’t have the issues BoyMoms have. *Yes Girls bring their own… drama. But Moms let’s face it, we know what being a Girl is about. Aaah, but Boys? They are a whole different… uh, experience.
*I once asked my cousin, Yejide, Mother of 2 brilliant/beautiful Girls and 3 brilliant/beautiful Boys, “Cuz, around the house, what’s the difference between Boys and Girls?” And this wise woman thoughtfully paused then said, “A Girl will look at a toilet flush and wonder how it works. A Boy will look at toilet flush and try to get in it.” Oohkay. Got it.
In the 12.5 years I’ve been BoyMom I have
been beaten into submission come to a certain understanding. Among other things, I can never *ever* expect to:
- Go 24 hours without hearing talk of, sounds of, or smell some sort of bodily function
- Go 24 hours without hearing about, seeing or smelling one of their body parts
- Go 24 hours without hearing a noise that sounds as if the house is being broken
- Get the last morsel/sip of anything that I really like – unless it’s prunes or liquor [Hey! Don't judge]
- Ever have a rug around the toilet
I’m not bitter or sad about these facts – Boys are wonderful creatures. And there’s absolutely no better feeling than being the nest's Queen Bee or building a loving relationship with lovable & articulate pre-Men.
That said, it sure would be nice to rest my tootsies on a soft fuzzy surface while I handle my bodily functions.