With the Holidays just around the corner; what are we going to do to maintain our healthy weight? This is one of the most difficult things to do during this Season since everything seems to revolve around food. Just one bite is what I usually say to myself but, is it really just one bite? It seems to be just one bite on a daily basis for two months! So, what are we going to do to try to maintain our healthy weight to be able to fit in that fabulous New Year's Eve dress?
Well, as you now, I am not a nutritionist; but I've created an easy to follow survival list for this Holiday Season that has worked for me in the past to keep me under control:
- Plan your week ahead of time; if you know you'll have three parties on a given week, plan around the parties. Which means, no McDonald's for lunch!
- Make smart choices; it is better to have two glasses of wine than one glass of the traditional Holiday eggnog.
- Exercise at least three times a week for 30 minutes.
- Keep a daily food journal and remember that every little bite counts!
- Weight yourself every week. Choose a day and time of the week and track your weight; this is key to help you stay motivated and under control.
- Allow yourself to one food splurge per week. In my case, I am planning on skipping dessert on Thanksgiving, so that I can have my famous homemade nutella pancakes on Black Friday morning.
- Enjoy the season and remember that you can do this. You control what you eat!
My family is coming over tonight to spend the Thanksgiving Holiday with us and instead of having turkey, they FedExed me a 15 pound frozen pork leg from Puerto Rico (Puerto Ricans, what can I say?); I guess that we will not be having mashed potatoes and gravy this year. Ay Mama!
Save some room for the yummy nutella pancakes and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp. granulated white sugar
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. melted butter
1 heaping Tbsp. Nutella
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and add the egg, milk and melted butter. Mix until smooth. Add nutella and swirl in the batter. Use approximately 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Serve hot. Buen provecho!
Filed under: Uncategorized