Here are some quick tips to ensure you have a healthy meal the next time you dine on some sushi!
- Avoid tempura anything
- Cut out the "spicy," cream cheese, eel sauce, and white/cream sauces on top
- Tell them not to salt or marinate your edamame-eat them plain, without dipping
- Avoid the teriyaki appetizers
- Ask for low-sodium soy sauce and cut your intake by 50%
- Ask for brown rice
- Order half Maki rolls and half sashimi to cut down on rice if brown rice is unavailable
- Try rice wine vinegar as your dip instead of soy sauce for less sodium
- Try a seaweed salad-seaweed is SO healthy!
- Go to a BYOB so you drink less/pay less!
- Get the simpler rolls like: tuna and avocado, tuna and jalapeño, rainbow without the sauces, etc.
My favorite sushi spots in the city:
- Coast Sushi
- Mirai Sushi
- Shaw's Crab House (they have great rolls believe-it-or-not. Their fish is so fresh!)