As you all (I assume) know, this weekend is ARTROPOLIS: Art Chicago/NEXT/Merchandise Mart Antique Fair. As always, this has prompted a slew of exhibition openings, and gallery open houses, to coincide with this annual GIANT FREAKING ART-STRAVAGANZA. Below, you will find a list of all (or as near to all as I can gather) the shows opening or open this weekend.
Saturday night is an especially useful opportunity for those of you who haven't been out for a while and would like to catch up on the works in River North and West Loop, since there is a free shuttle from the Mart to both neighborhoods. Most River North galleries will be open from 5-8pm, and most West Loop galleries will be open from 6-9pm.
In addition to my listing, you can find useful information on the diverse event offerings this weekend at the following sites:
And now, for the list. Be prepared...
HYDE PARK -
- 5228 S Harper Ave. Take Back The Night, work by Emily Jones. Reception 6-9pm.
LINCOLN PARK -
- 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. QuARTet, work by Don Elmi, Walter Fydryck, Rick "Fish" Janes, Jon Langford, and George Lindmark. Reception 5-7pm.
Per Populus Gallery
- 626 W. 18th St. Man in the Mask, work by Chris Tobar Rodriguez. Reception 6-10pm.
RIVER NORTH -
- 418 N Clark St, 2. Nail Salon, work by Yoon Jae Barng, Claire Berenblum, Paul Dressen, Travis Fish, Bess Mcneill, Dhehee Lee, Nicole Mazza, Sunhwa PArk, Yangbin Park, Daniel Rizzo-Orr, Laura Rodriguez, Minji Sohn, Kevin Stuart and Brian Wadford. Reception 7pm-midnight.
- 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza. Art Chicago, NEXT Fair, and Merchandise Mart International Antiques Fair. Open 4/29-5/2.
- 230 W. Superior St. Cornelia Hediger and Adad Hannah. Reception 5-7:30pm.
RIVER WEST -
- 832 W. Superior St., #204. Beds and Beyond: Intimate Spaces, work by Nancy Fritz. Reception 6-9pm.
SOUTH LOOP -
WEST LOOP -
- 400 S. Peoria St. UIC MFA Thesis Exhibition #4. Reception 5-8pm.
NOBLE SQUARE -
Slow - 2153 W. 21st St. The Low Down, work by Caroline Allison, Danica Favorito, and Jeffrey Grauel. Reception 6-9pm.
RIVER NORTH -
- 311 W. Superior. Robert Berlin: After/Image. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 5-8pm.
- 226 W. Superior. Nathalie Guarracino: New Work. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 5-8pm.
- 300 W. Superior St. Natural Phenomenon, work by Suzy Poling. Reception 5:30-8pm.
WEST LOOP -
- 213 N. Morgan. Heidi Norton. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
Kavi Gupta Gallery
- 835 W. Washington Blvd. An Epitaph for Civil Rights and Other Domesticated Structures, work by Theaster Gates.
Linda Warren Gallery
- 1052 W. Fulton Market. Megan Euker and Juan Angel Chavez. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
Packer Schopf Gallery
- 942 W. Lake. Casey Riordan Millard and Ann Worthing. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
The Hills Esthetic Center
- 128 N. Campbell Ave., Unit G. Everlasting Banquet, work by Matias Arganaraz, Dick Cowan, and Austin Eddy. Reception 7-11pm.
- 670 W. Hubbard, First Fl. Barbara Crane: An Infernal Beauty. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
Thomas McCormick Gallery
- 835 W. Washington Blvd. When I Grow Up I Want to Be Just Like Jasper Johns, work by Jack Roth. Reception 6-9pm.
Thomas Robertello Gallery
- 27 N. Morgan. Peter Allen Hoffmann: When the Cathedrals Were White and Jason Robert Bell: The Tetragrammatron Archive. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
- 119 N. Peoria, #2D. Launching Community Supported Art (CSA) program. Reception 6-9pm.
Tony Wight Gallery
- 845 W. Washington, 2nd Fl. Group Show, work by Tamar Halpern, Jacob Kassay, Carter Mull, Valerie Snobeck, Josh Tonsfeldt, and Molly Zuckerman-Hartung. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
- 328 S. Jefferson St., 1st floor. Open Objects, work by Jonathan Muecke. Reception 6-8pm.
- 118 N. Peoria. GAO BROTHERS: GRANDEUR AND CATHARSIS. Open for Art Chicago/NEXT 6-9pm.
WICKER PARK -
The Studio at Marshfield - 1020 N. Marshfield. FUCK ART CHICAGO. Reception 7-11pm.
- 244 W 31st St. Things That Are Longing To Appear, work by Bill Talsma. Reception 6-9pm.
LOGAN SQUARE -
Cole's - 2338 N. Milwaukee Ave. Art at Cole's, work by Melanie Kasten and Scott Pandel. Reception 6-8pm.
OAK PARK -
- 125 N Harvey Ave. Sara Greenberger Rafferty and Ruby Sky Stiler. Reception 2-4pm.
Architectural Artifacts - 4325 N. Ravenswood Ave. The Spring Show. Show and auction 10am-5pm.
Art Feature, Art Talk Chicago, Gallery Crawl
23rd Annual Spring Benefit Show, Adad Hannah, An Epitaph for Civil Rights and Other Domesticated Structures, Anindita Dutta, Anita Ivy Miller Art/Gallery, Ann Nathan Gallery, Apollo Theatre, Arc Gallery, Architectural Artifacts, Art at Cole's, Art Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago, Artropolis, Austin Eddy, Barbara Crane: An Infernal Beauty, Beds and Beyond: Intimate Spaces, Bess Mcneill, Bill Talsma, Brian Wadford, Carrie Secrist Gallery, Carter Mull, Catherine Edelman Gallery, Center for Book and Paper Arts, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago Photography Center, Chris Tobar Rodriguez, Claire Berenblum, Claude Andreini, Club Nutz, Cole's, Columbia College, Community Supported Art (CSA), Cornelia Hediger, Daniel Rizzo-Orr, David Weinberg Photography, Dawoud Bey: Early Portraits, Dhehee Lee, Dick Cowan, Don Elmi, DOVA Temporary, Eastern Expansion, EbersMoore, Emily Jones, Evanston Art Center, Everlasting Banquet, FireCat Projects, Gallery 400, Gallery KH, GAO BROTHERS: GRANDEUR AND CATHARSIS, George Lindmark, Gruen Galleries, Heidi Norton, Huma Bhabha, Jack Roth, Jacob Kassay, Jason Robert Bell: The Tetragrammatron Archive, Jim MacRoberts, Joe Amrhein, John Waldo, Jon Langford, Jonathan Muecke, Josh Tonsfeldt, kasia kay art projects gallery, Kavi Gupta Gallery, Kevin Berlin, Kevin Stuart, Kevin Veara, Laura Rodriguez, Linda Warren Gallery, Man in the Mask, Matias Arganaraz, Melanie Kasten, Merchandise Mart, MFA Thesis Exhibition, Minji Sohn, Molly Zuckerman-Hartung, Monica Rezman, Movie Mojo: Hand-Painted Posters From Ghana, Mr. Wild's Garden, Museum of Contemporary Photography, Nail Salon, Nancy Fritz, Nathalie Guarracino, Natural Phenomenon, Never Forgotten, NEXT Fair, Nicole Mazza, Open Objects, Packer-Schopf Gallery, Paul Dressen, Paula Henderson, Per Populus Gallery, Peter Allen Hoffmann: When the Cathedrals Were White, public-works, QuARTet, Rebecca Ringquist, Rhona Hoffman Gallery, Rick "Fish" Janes, Robert Berlin: After/Image, Robert Bills Contemporary, Ruby Sky Stiler, Sara Greenberger Rafferty, Schneider Gallery, School of the Art Institute Sullivan Galleries, Scott Pandel, Shane Campbell Gallery, Stephen Daiter Gallery, Steve Schapiro: Taxi Driver, Sunhwa PArk, Suzy Poling, Take Back The Night, Tamar Halpern, Th!nkArt, The Hills Esthetic Center, The Secret Life of Ballerinas, The Suburban, Theaster Gates, Things That Are Longing To Appear, Thomas McCormick Gallery, Thomas Robertello Gallery, ThreeWalls, Tony Wight Gallery, Travis Fish, UIC MFA Thesis Exhibition #4, Valerie Snobeck, Volume Gallery, Walsh Gallery, Walter Fydryck, When I Grow Up I Want to Be Just Like Jasper Johns, Yangbin Park, Yoon Jae Barng, Zak Kitnick, Zg Gallery