So, according to my Facebook event list, today is Geek Pride Day. It has been celebrated on May 25 since 2006 celebrating the premiere of the first Star Wars movie in 1977. Here are your rights and responsibilities on this day:
- The right to be even geekier.
- The right to not leave your house.
- The right to not like football or any other sport.
- The right to associate with other nerds.
- The right to have few friends (or none at all).
- The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
- The right to be out of style.
- The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
- The right to show off your geekiness.
- The right to take over the world.
- Be a geek, no matter what.
- Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
- To save and protect all geeky material.
- Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a "museum of geekiness."
- Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
- Never throw away anything related to geekdom.
- Try to take over the world!
In honor of Geek Pride Day, I'd like to share with you an episode of MTV's True Life called "I'm a Fanboy." I enjoyed this episode because it involves cosplayers, and I actually know two of the people featured in the episode (they are Power Rangers cosplayers). So watch and enjoy...and don't forget to try and take over the world!