May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been living gluten-free for over a year now because non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance. Over the course of the year that I have been living Gluten-Free (GF), I have had my share of really good and really, really bad gluten-free foods. The whole experience has really had me change my eating habits. It also has made me more self-conscience of what I had been eating in the past and have had many “WTF was I thinking of eating THAT?!” moments. I have been living more healthy as part of switching my diet to a GF (and dairy-free/refined sugar-free as well).
Here are my favorite foods that I cannot absolutely live without:
- Ninja Blender – Ok, this is not exactly a food item, but it is my trusty kitchen device that I cannot live without…period. It makes the most amazing smoothies and juice. I am still waiting to try using it to make either pudding or an ice cream base. Hmmmm.
- GardenLites Veggie Soufflés – Don’t like your veggies? These are the product for you and it is gluten-free. They are completely da BOMB! My favorite flavor is the Butternut Squash soufflés with the spinach ones right behind. I even think Popeye would approve.
- Salmon – I love this simple fishy food. This product is also naturally gluten-free. I cannot get enough of it at all. All of the health benefits – Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s - in just a 3 oz. size portion (even though I eat almost 6 oz. at a time myself *burp*) I like mine either just lightly seasoned or with stone ground Dijon mustard cooked on the grill or broiler.
- So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt – Since I do eat dairy product including yogurt because of allergy reasons, I substitute it with coconut milk. Plus I love the chocolate flavor and it is my little chocolate treat.
- So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream – I miss ice cream, but this is an awesome milk alterative ice cream. My favorite flavor is Cherry Amaretto. Yum!
- So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk – One word: SMOOTHIES! And also good with the Chocolate Chex where it is naturally sweetened by the cereal that it does not need any additional cane sugar.
- Udi’s Chia Millet Bread – Soft, homey, and yummy! Perfect sandwich bread. I buy it frozen instead of in the bakery. The bread is much softer and less dry from sitting on the shelf.
- Hail Merry Chocolate Macaroons – The best macaroons that I have ever had and they are definitely chocolatey. No gluten-free ingredients naturally! Yum!
- Think Thin Dark Chocolate Bars – Sweet little gluten-free bar with so much protein. Yum!
- Vigilant Eats Superfood Oat Based Cereal – Super, super good and super good for you!
- Canyon Oats Sweet Honey Cinnamon Oatmeal – This little container of oatmeal tastes like the Cinnabon that you really want to have without the guilt and 1200 calories consumed. Deeeelish!
- Chocolate Chex cereal – One favorite kid cereal that I can enjoy without the ill effects and gluten.
Now there’s my list. I hope some of these foods inspire you to find other foods that help improve your eating habits.
Until next time…