Tonight, I sat down and forced myself to update my very, very, very old About Me. It occurred to me that I've never really put into solid words what it really meant to be Accidentally Sexy. Since I began the blog in 2009, the term Accidentally Sexy has become so much more than a catchy moniker. It is my small way of providing an independent, educated and thoughtful voice about love, relationships and self-discovery to powerful, inspiring women and thoughtful, interesting men. As one reader recently described it, Accidentally Sexy has played the role of Shakespeare's Chorus, a sort of background noise guiding light. I love that.
The more I've written, I've discovered that Accidentally Sexy has a fan base in countries and communities where strong, independent women do not have a public voice. That is probably the most flattering thing I could ever imagine.
So, what then, is Accidentally Sexy, if we really get down to it.
The short answer: Accidentally Sexy is more than just a dating blog. This is for the peeps who live an inspiring life, so they won't settle for anything less than an inspiring love.
Accidentally Sexy is:
- Positive Mental Attitude: If you believe you can do it, you will find a way to make it happen. Negativity poisons you and those around you.
- Being vulnerable and honest: It takes a lot of strength to be either of these...so be both.
- Exploring new sites, tastes and sounds: There is so much in this world. Try all of it. Grow from it.
- Healthy relationships: Identifying how to attract and keep a healthy relationship is a learned behavior. It extends passed just your dating relationships to the ones you have with your family, friends and, most importantly, yourself.
- Being your truest self: Don't be afraid to be who you are. No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to be the person someone else wants you to be. You will still disappoint them. So just be you. And be you a lot.
- Having fun, all the time, no matter what: There is a bunch of really awful things in the world. Don't be part of what makes it that way.
- Finding solutions and opportunities: There are going to be times where things don't go your way. Let that motivate and inspire you to create something better.
- Being supportive and empowering: You will never know all the details of someone else's journey. Be part of what keeps them strong.
- Laughing at the stuff that makes you hurt: Finding the secret humor in a sad situation can help you better cope with it. And if you can cope with it, you can learn to conquer it.
- Living an inspiring life: You have the power to change things. Live the type of life that would make your 5-year-old self proud of your present self. You might not see it immediately. You might not know right now. Just go out and do.
- Embracing individuality: The weird stuff is the stuff that catches your eye. The weird stuff is the stuff that changes the world.
What does Accidentally Sexy mean to you?