You are only as good as the company you keep.
Consider your own group of friends. How do they effect your daily choices? Like it or not, your friends say a lot about who you are and what you want in life.
The same goes for guys. You can tell the type of guy you are dealing with just by looking at his friends.
Below are five types of friend groups to watch out for:
- His friends are all very single. If you are looking for a relationship, look to a guy whose friends are also in relationships. No guy wants to be the only one with a girlfriend. While all his friends are free to do whatever they want, when they want, he has to consider you in his choices. Honestly, that can be a bit of a buzzkill. A guy with friends who have girlfriends or wives, however, wants to join in on the fun and the couples nights. Adversely, if you aren't looking for anything serious, steer clear of these guys!
- His friends are players or cheaters. I don't hate the player, I just don't mess with them either. If your guy is friends with these types, he is essentially saying it's OK to behave that way. If he covers for them, it's even worse. If he accepts that behavior and all his friends accept it, there is nothing stopping him from behaving that way toward you. This was a major issue in a recent relationship. He would defend and almost envy his guys' doggish behavior. In the end, I was right.
- His friends aren't driven, successful or goal-oriented. This goes for girls as much as guys. If your friends are trying to make something of themselves, you are more likely not to try that hard either. If you surround yourself with successful, interesting people, there is no limit to how far or how fast you can climb. Plus, your friends will be supportive of your journey, because they can relate to it.
- His friends party too much. If you think a guy will "grow up once he ____," you are wrong. What you see now is what you are going to see later. Imagine how he's going to feel if his friends are calling him at 4 a.m. or when he hears all the stories he's missing out on. If you're not down with his party lifestyle, he's not a good fit.
- His friends are all girls. I have dated too many of this character. I've never really minded it, because I tend to have a lot of male friends and my boyfriend has to deal with it. Also, it means that I can hang with some girls. I've always thought these were pluses. The truth is, however, that at least one of these girls will be trying to get with your boyfriend. I once dumped a guy at a Halloween party. He was so much more flirty with one friend and so distanced from me that guests I just met that night kept telling me they thought he was her boyfriend and not mine. The grand finale was when my friend and I were looking for him at the party only to walk into her room and find them laying next to each other on her bed. Sure, they were just talking, but there is a limit to how you behave when you have a relationship. Plus, so many situations have started with "just talking."