Apparently, I'm going to be running in the Chicago Marathon this year. I signed up over lunch, my fate has been sealed. Running the marathon has been on my list of lifetime to-dos for years now and I've decided to just make it happen in 2010. I attempted to do it two years ago, but completely wimped out when I realized how much more fun it was to hang with my friends than it was to run.
Reasons why this is an awesome idea:
- The marathon this year is on 10/10/10, which just sounds lucky.
- I can opt out of lame events and blame it on the fact that I have to run all the time.
- There are a lot of really hot guys that run...the fact that I am usually chasing them is irrelevant!
- It'll be like last summer when I traveled through all the Chicago neighborhoods to visit 50 Festivals...except I won't be boozing, eating or generally enjoying myself.
- I love the phrase "I've done it", so much more than "I want to do it."
I made the rookie error of my mentioning my marathon aspirations on Twitter a few weeks ago. Everyone was really encouraging, but @CisforConnie, one of the RedEye Royalty, really had something to say. If I had actually inspired someone to sieze the day and run their very first marathon, I better get working on my first, too.
Actual responses from friends, family and co-workers:
- You're not going to have a social life.
- LOL, please, LOL.
- Well, at least you walk a lot already.
I'm so lucky to be surrounded by such supportive people.......
P.S. One of my links will make your day today...I'm not telling you which...hint: Newsies!
P.P.S. Was the teacher from Glee the lead in Newsies?!?!?!? I have a much bigger crush on him now.